Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2020

my first time wasn't very good

I got tired of shouting, so I finally just wrote it down, hoping she could read.  

Beef tips over egg noodles
Green beans
Strawberry trif
le cake

Yes, her sight and reading comprehension were just fine.  

"Ah, beef tips over noodles.  Sounds good.  I'm not stupid, I just can't hear"

"Oh, I can tell you're not stupid!", I shoutingly assured her

"Ha, well I've got you fooled anyway!", she fired back.

Some of these nursing care residents are a lot of fun.  Often pathetic to look at, yes, but inside lurks a good time.  A coworker told me of one resident's response to hearing the luncheon special:

"Sounds delicious, but if I eat it, I'll shit my pants"

Yeah, plenty of TMI to go around on a daily basis.

I'm one week into the new job at the care facility.  As optimistically hoped, it's an enjoyable and rewarding gig.  As I've met my other coworkers, I've learned they're not all young adults.  There are a couple of older mom types like myself, and everyone gets along very well.

One of the "elders" told me she trained many of the younger ones as we were talking about  how compassionate and patient they are with the residents.

"I told them to think about their grandma or grandpa whenever they're with a resident"

That training tip seems to have worked out well.

We're also taking part in COVID research by the local university.  To participate, we are voluntarily tested weekly for the virus.  Sure, why not?  

We test ourselves, and I administered my first test yesterday after a very brief verbal description of how to do it.  Honestly, not sure I did it correctly.  Probably didn't go deep enough into my nasopharynx (a body part I just now learned about...) 


But I've since watched some youtube, and I'm ready for next week!  Don't swab "up the nose", but more like "deep into your head, through your nose".  Pleasant!

After I'd already done mine, a coworker let me watch him do it.  He sneezed and teared up a bit afterward, which is normal.  I neither sneezed nor teared up, further making me think mine was a fail.


I can just imagine the research lab when they get to my first sample:


6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You will have to let us know what the test said - doing it yourself? Crazy!

Abby said...

Sandie, yeah, I was surprised that I was to test myself from the get go. At least show us a video or something? I'll get it next week, though. My goal is all negative results and no wasted swabs!

Anonymous said...

Crimony, look at that illustration -- that swab practically has to reach the deep space between your ears! Can't I just pee on a strip or something? Looking forward to more old folk war stories....

LL Cool Joe said...

In my mother's care home they all seem to sit there shitting and peeing in their pants all day.

Yes here in the UK everyone has to do their own test. I'm not sure I'd do it right either.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think working in an environment like that would be depressing so I am happy to hear it's funny and the people are nice. Man, that helps at work doesn't it? I work alone but if I have to work with others I prefer nice. :-)
I hear that test is brutal.

Abby said...

Anonymous, I know, right? I watched the guy do it, and that swab just kept going in. We swabbing our brains, or what??

LLC Joe, I've gotta hand it to the CNAs and housekeepers. They've got their work cut out.

Peggy, I thought it would be depressing, too. Thankfully, it's not.
I think the original test also swabbed the tonsils, so I'm happy we're not doing that too!
Glad to see you made it into the comments!... for now