Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2020

twinsies, tests, and tutee trepidation,

 I pulled into the parking lot and immediately saw where I HAD to park.


Yep, spotted a twin-mobile, so I parked right next to it.  Make other shoppers think there's a fancy car show going on.

Really, my 2000 Toyota Echo is such a puttster, I do get mildly excited when I see another rare gem.  As I left the two of them snuggled together, I checked the other license plate.  The registration had expired in May.

I checked out of curiosity because Magnum had a sudden epiphany a few mornings ago:  our car registration expired at the end of July.  Sure enough, our other car - Honda Fit - is past due.

Why is it that seemingly every piece of crap junk mail follows when a person moves, but important things like MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION RENEWAL NOTICES don't?!

Curious, I checked the Echo.  Expires, well, tomorrow.  And alas, "my" other car, which Meego uses, expired in June.  We're criminals!

Our county requires emission tests, so I took both the Echo and the Fit and alerted Meego to take the Civic.  Thankfully, they all passed.  I'll mention that the employees at the test center were super friendly and efficient.  Seriously, I wondered what substance they were on?

Speaking of tests, the College Board administered its first SAT test since pre-Covid yesterday.  Not a big blip in news headlines, but big in the land of tutors and high school seniors.  Many test centers cancelled, and only a few "chosen ones" were able to take their tests.  


Ugh, I feel for these kids (two of my tutees were cancelled).  Most don't know until the last  minute whether they'll be able to take the test or not. So many unknowns. Panic abounds.  I lurk around the SAT and ACT subreddits and the anxiety is palpable.  I do appreciate good meme efforts, though.


7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Hey criminal!
I drive a Honda CRV 2000 - love it - almost 200K miles.
I heard they they were going to let testing go this year???

Abby said...

Sandie, good vehicle. We could form a Y2K club!
Some colleges and universities have waived the admission tests, but a lot of these kids are vying for merit scholarships that still require test scores.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

My car is 13 yrs old. And it still is a beast. But my registration is updated. :-)

Abby said...

Peggy, you're such an inspiring upstanding citizen!

Brian said...

Want to know what drugs the people at the vehicle emissions test center are on? They're snorting car fumes!!!

Not sorry - had to.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I have a theory on why important gov things don't forward. I know with the state that I work for (I don't live in the same state I work for. haha) we cannot forward documents as it contains personal info in it at times. It's returned to us so we can either update the address or track them down if we need to.

Glad you were able to get the emissions tests taken care of quickly.

I'm worried about my daughter taking the ACTs because of what you mentioned. She's a junior this year, so she does have time, but I want her to have that time in case she needs a higher score. I appreciate the advice you gave me on the study book! I ordered it and we are just waiting to receive it. :)

Abby said...

Brian, yup, I formed that theory too :). Hard to explain the efficiency, though!

Morgan, your idea on the mailing makes sense. I wonder why they include the box to indicate if you've moved? How would that get checked, ha!
I had an ACT tutee last summer prior to his junior year. Yes, he was a bit early in taking it, but he's calm going into his senior year while his classmates are frettin'! Good luck to Alli.