Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2020

it's good to stop and avoid the goose babies

Yesterday at work, "I" had three ER patients.

We food folk don't get many requests from the ER, but sometimes patients need to stay a while only for observation, so the staff puts in orders for them.  We don't know what they're in the ER for - none of our business.  

One was a woman in her mid-30's. She looked exhausted.  In my clueless and short unprofessional assessment, I deduced she had succumbed to the heat.  She looked flushed and mildly sunburnt.  Her hair was a bit messy and had that recently-sweaty look.  She had an IV in one arm, and I noted the food the nurses ordered for her was a bit high in the sodium realm.  

Naturally, I could be totally wrong, and I was probably projecting some of my own experience on to her because it's freaking hot outside!  It was a good reminder, though, to stay hydrated and keep up on the beat-the-heat tips (my moisture wicking tops are working marvelously!).   

My last semester of college undergrad was a summer session, and during that time, I went to upstate New York for a job interview.  The humidity hit me like a blast from a sauna as soon as I stepped out of the airport.  I took the job, and we ended up moving there a couple of months later from dry Colorado.  

We soon learned that, not only does the humidity make the hot feel even more hot, but also
  • shade does nothing.  It's not cooler in the shade, only darker.
  • temperature ranges are teeny tiny.  The high could be 89 F during the day, and the nighttime low could be 85 F.  Call that a "low"!?
I remember reading a cautionary story of a young and healthy guy who went out running in high heat and humidity.  In short, he died.  His body kept trying to cool him down with sweating, but sweating does next to nothing in high heat and humidity.  Soon enough, his organs shut down.  Yeesh.

We sort of got used to the humidity in our nearly 10 years of living there, but I can't say that I miss it as we've long since moved back to the dry heat of Colorado.  Ugh, it still feels like being under a heat lamp, and it's not like we never whine.  But the nights and early mornings are the bomb!

Tuesday morning, I was enjoying a lovely bike ride into work.  My commute is about 8 miles and a wonderful way to start the day, I miss it on my days off.  It takes me through a smallish park with a quaint duck pond - such a serene setting.  

There are several goose families in the park, and sometimes they think they own the place.  I was making my way through the path when one of the larger families - I swear, they hatched like 12 babies - were all hanging out.  I had to slow way down so as to not cause a ruckus.

I ended up coming to a full stop and taking in the moment:  the goose babies, the sunrise, the crisp morning air... I noticed a family of ducks out for a morning paddle across the pond and decided to snag a pic 



See 'em?  The ducks?

Of course once that sun got a bit higher in the sky, hell (seemingly) broke loose once again, and I inwardly bitched about it on the ride home that afternoon.  

But at least our shade is functional.

-----------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
6. Share the most recent image you published on Instagram and give us the back story




15 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

I love this pic! That morning looks so nice!

Kansas has the crazy humidity. I sweat as soon as I hit the door. Even sitting outside in the dark, yeah, still blanket like. I'm jealous of all the states with dry heat.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby I have only lived where there is god awful humidity. Even Seattle. While it never got very warm it was always humid. I try to explain this to friends in California and they just don't get it. You did it perfectly!! It's in the high 90s this week here and they see no chance of this letting up anytime soon. Global warming?. And yes the humidity is close to the same. And right now our "lows" are what I'd like my highs to be. My poor dog is a cool/cold weather dog. She HATES this heat. She walked this morning on the tree lawn instead of the pavement. I haven't seen her do that since she was a puppy with brand new smooth paws/pads. The concrete would make her jump so she was smart enough to move to the grass. But now at the ripe old age of 11.5 she goes immediately to grass. She pants and pants and I know the poor thing is as miserable as me. I love that morning ride - sounds perfect to me, cooler, sunrise, pond, ducks. Ah, calgon take me away!

Brian said...

Reporting in from Upstate NY: It is EXACTLY how you described! Seems the longer it stays hot the higher the humidity gets. And everything that Peg said? Yeah - she gets it even worse than us. Few hundred miles south make a huge difference.

However - I will NOT be complaining about the weeks of numbing cold come winter with humidity in the teens and feet of snow in the forecast. Nope - that's looking pretty good right about now!

John Holton said...

The first year we lived in Atlanta, our air conditioning went out at the beginning of summer. We figured we had lived in Chicago for years when the temperature was as hot and the humidity was as high, but by the middle of July we were tired and cranky. Like Brian says, the heat is more intense the further south you go.

When it's real hot and humid, you need to stay hydrated, and water might not be enough due to the loss of electrolytes. You almost need something like Gatorade to replenish them. Hope that lady's OK...

Chatty Crone said...

Love the photo.
You know I have only lived in two states - both with humidity - so I have been been spoiled like you! ☺

Abby said...

Morgan, I'll turn on my fan to send some of our dry air across the KS border.

Peggy, Izzy knows what's what. The morning commute is the best part of the day.

Brian, I also remember the winters - snow that never melts until (maybe) spring! Falls were beautiful, though. I miss that... and my friends... and Wegman's.

Abby said...

John, I hope the lady's okay too and has no lasting damage. She really appeared depleted.

Sandie, I suggest you stay in Georgia, so you don't realize what you've missed all these years! ;)

Patty said...

Just love the photo you shared!

The heat and humidity levels here have skyrocketed, typical for July and for summer. I had been doing a couple of four-mile walks during each week on local bike trails...until now. Just no efficient way to keep hydrated and breathe since the trails are busy with people and everyone pops their masks on and off when safe distancing can't be observed.

At least the nights here are fairly pleasant. The air is still, but not the mosquitoes. Mornings, not so much. The humidity just slaps you in the face.

Stay safe!

Abby said...

Patty, I think my heat tolerance - if it's even a thing - has built up, and I can push on through. But that doesn't mean I have to like it! But yes, there's a limit. Early mornings before sunrise are best right now. Fewer people are out then, too!

KatBouska said...

Our shade here in Washington does it's job correctly too. I don't think I could live in a high humidity state, I would melt. Forget about working out, I would do everything in my power to keep my body as still as possible until it cooled down. You're so right, the evening and morning hours when things are not sweltering really are the best hours of the day.

Abby said...

Kat, I often think we should become nocturnal creatures in the summertime.

Madamdreamweaver said...

The thing about "heat exhaustion" is it can come upon you before you even know it. Here in Florida, Hubby and I,being Seniors, have to keep an eye on working outside in the blast furnace of Florida summer for that very reason.

Abby said...

MDW, yes, and apparently, once this happens to someone, they're more susceptible to it in the future. Be careful!

Linda Hensley said...

Ohio has been in the 90s and the humidity has been awful (though today has been absolutely pleasant). I think all of this will just get worse with climate change. I'm not so sure I can adapt.

Linda Sue said...

still wearing two layers, it has been cold,
the morning air smells like winter, overcast, moist. I think we had summer that one day. Suits me just fine.
The photo is lovely.