Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

like a hole in the head

This past week or so has been a series of checking things off the healthcare to-do list.  We moved here late last year around the holidays, then once the holidays settled down, COVID-19 came a-calling and shut everything down.  With things including doctor's offices opening back up, I was able to get while the getting was good and check off the annuals.

Here I sit all blood-screened and checked-up and mammogrammed.  For the mammogram, the mammogrammer changed out the squisher.  Did you know they come in different sizes?  Did I get the one to accommodate the smallest boobs?  Small half-Asian female squisher?  I assume the all-purpose squisher was on the machine to begin with.



Either way, happy to say, there've been no surprises, and if things start falling apart, I now have places to call.  And this week:  the dentist.

Actually, I want to ask the dentist about replacing that big honking tooth I had removed last fall.  At first, I figured I'd just let it ride since it's in the back and doesn't affect the all important smile.  But it's such a big gap, and I like to chew things sometimes.

I'd already noped out of a dental implant as my oral surgeon says I'll need a bone graft for that.  A bridge is another option, but then I'd need to crown the adjacent teeth.  Plus, there's the cost to consider.  So I'm leaning toward a partial.  For one stupid tooth. 

Way back when we bought our first house, the previous owner was a fake teeth maker.  A denture maker?  Not sure the actual title, but he had a small shop in the house from where he worked.  There were various molds and teeth and wires - kind of like a jewelry shop?  Somebody had to do it.

Nowadays, I think fake teeth are often made at the dental office.  I know our previous dentist offered same-day replacements.  I have front crowns, and I remember having to wait for their arrival.  I got the first set when I was 11 years old, and they have since been replaced twice.  They've looked more like real teeth with each "upgrade". 

But for this big back tooth, I don't care the appearance so much as long as it fits.  Can I get a gold one? 

Anybody reading have experience with partials?  



9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I didn't know there were more than one size squisher!

And boy you ask for a lot Abby, "you wish to chew things sometimes" Boy, you brat you!
Seriously I love this meme.

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad you get your mammos - I am a breast cancer survivor so far six years.

And your teeth - I don't know much about it - but I do know this - they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive.

Good luck!

Abby said...

Peggy, I'd never had a different squisher put on either! She just unscrewed one and screwed on another. I didn't take notice of the differences because it was an unexpected thing.

Sandie, I didn't know you were a survivor! Keep it up!
Yes, dental work in general is expensive. I'm going for basic functionality!

Brian said...

My spousal unit had an implant done last year. Went to a very go9od, highly recommended periodontist. Total tab ended up being in the 5K neighborhood, plus the final crown on top of the implant. Coulda had it done for less - but I've had work done by this particular periodontist and she is truly one of the best.

Bout those smashers - once long ago I worked for a company that made X-ray film and the cassettes that held them. Mammo film generally came in an 8x10 inch format at the time. We got a request from Japan asking if we could make a 9x13 format film and cassette. Knowing the general anatomical size of Japanese ladies, we were a little confused. So we asked them, "Why on earth did they need larger film & cassettes?"

Because then they could get 3 exposures per plate instead of just 2. Yes, much face-palming ensued after hearing that one!

Abby said...

Brian, dental implants make good sense - seems it would be most like the "real" tooth. But since I need a bone graph? Yeesh, nah.
HA, 9x13 gets 3 instead of 2. Seems we'd want multiples of 2!

Anonymous said...

Late 40's, 1st cavity. Dentist botched the extraction by leveraging his pry bar against an adjacent tooth, cracking it. (For some reason, I think dentists brag if they can pull a molar out in its entirety; the less arrogant ones lop off the top & pull the roots out individually.) ANYWHO....It was the dentist's fault and everyone who read my survey results knew it; no whining, just facts. Root canal on cracked tooth didn't take despite months of revisiting, so I became an implant candidate. Demanded a gold one & got it, no questions asked.

Oh, and the bone graft? Comes from a cadaver. Maybe that's who's whispering in my head....

Abby said...

Anon, I remember my oral surgeon saying he was gonna try to get my bum tooth out in one piece. He did seem a bit disappointed when it was clear that wouldn't happen, but no pry bar! Way to "go for the gold!"

The bone graft comes from a CADAVER?! I thought they just took some of your own from someplace you're not using much. Cadaver bone?? Almost makes it seem worthwhile...

Larz said...

I just revel in the gap. Mostly because the tooth that was there gave me hell for years. I don't have mouth pain, and I'm not looking to tempt fate by poking around there again. haha.

Abby said...

Larz, honestly that's been my revel, too and the reason I want the least invasive "fix" if anything. But it's like the Grand Canyon over there!