Pages

Friday, June 26, 2020

parting shots

I went for my monthly allergy injections today.   I get one hit per arm - one for grasses, trees, and weeds; the other for various molds.  As far as the stinging insects allergy goes, the strategy is "don't look or smell like a flower".  So far, so good.

I mentioned to the shot-giver that my weed arm puffed up pretty good last time.  She advised me to take an antihistamine after I get my shots, and I'm thinking,
"I thought I was getting these shots so that I don't need antihistamines?"

Oh well, I'd previously decided that this will be my final batch of allergy antigens - they mix up a year's worth at a time, and this is year three.  Are they working?  A little?  Maybe?  Feels like time to move on.

Speaking of moving on - that bicycling challenge from Wednesday?  I did my part and was tallied at cyclist number 518:

From what I can tell, there is a camera/ sensor that records movement through the bike lanes - both north and southbound lanes.

Anyways, the previous record of seventeen hundred something was not broken.  The final count for Wednesday was 1,502.  Not a bad showing considering there's a major construction detour just south of the counter, there was no Bike To Work day (which I understand is a big to-do around here.  Lots of food, freebies, and festivities.  Participants probably take in more calories than they expend by riding to work or wherever), and the nearby university is online-only for summer classes.

On the work front, the hospital is final-ly bringing back the moms and babies unit next week and will then be functioning in all departments.  For us lowly culinarians, reduced schedules are likely here to stay until end of summer at the earliest.  It can be chaotic at times, but I'm actually enjoying the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none life for now.

And a final finally, Magnum goes back and forth pondering if he's already had the dreaded COVID-19.  Remember back in late January, we sold our previous house?  I mentioned here in the blog that I had to drag Magnum's sorry butt to the notary public to sign closing papers because he was battling a case of the crud.

I didn't catch it and we'd both gotten flu shots in October, so we figured his just didn't take.  Now, looking back, he remembers tasteless food at a product launch dinner he attended for work ("what a lousy cut of prime rib!")  and developed the worst chills ever.  These days, there is mounting evidence that the virus was in the U.S. by late last year.

Did he or didn't he?  To me, it appeared to be a typical case of Man Flu.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: final



13 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I think a great many people are wondering if they've already had Covid 19. My partner had a dry cough and felt ill back in January, I felt really ill in February, my older daughter had a cough for about 2 weeks in March. We all had slightly different symptoms, so who knows? I don't think it really stops you getting it again, sadly, although it should mean it's milder.

Abby said...

Joey, just our luck to have this flu-like-symptoms novel virus hit in the middle of cold and flu season.

Linda Hensley said...

I wondered about your post about his man flu. I've also wondered if I could've had a case of it too, though almost asymptomatic. I felt run down for about a week and my lungs felt constricted in a way I'd never felt before. Of course it could all have been a nothing bug or maybe wishful thinking that I could have some antibodies.

Abby said...

Linda, I hear the accuracy of antibody tests is not so great, so we may never know!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Probably good you live in Colorado with this giant dust cloud. (I live in Florida). They said there was a big one like it in 2018, but they didn't make a ruckus about it. So why now?
People have gone crazy.

Abby said...

MDW, thanks, hopefully the "dust cloud" won't turn all pollengeddon! We've got enough going on this year...

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

Good job on the cycling! As for Covid, he could have had the Man Flu. Or it could've been Covid. I am pretty certain my son and I had something LAST JULY that was very much Covid-like. So maybe we had something that Covid19 mutated from? I'm thinking so. We also got sick again in January of this year, but not as long or as bad as before. But anyway, I went to the Dr. in July twice. Not flu. Once, I even had to get a breathing treatment. So yeah, I would not be surprised if what I had back then was something that eventually mutated into the Covid19 we have now. And would not be surprised if that's what Magnum had earlier this year.

I don't blame you for ditching the allergy shots if they aren't significantly helping.

Kim

Abby said...

Kim, the whole covid thing is learn-as-we-go. I haven't bothered with antibody testing since I've heard results aren't very reliable.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well man flu notwithstanding (and yes man flu is real!) we have free testing to see if you've had it(antibodies) can you get those in your state? It may be worth finding out for a plethora of reasons. I know someone who had a mild case but now he is having issues with his lungs that the doctors say he will have for his lifetime. He is only in his early 40s. This disease is so awful. Good Luck.
Oh I remember allergy shots. I had them for years. You will laugh but once I went gluten free at the 1 year mark I no longer have seasonal allergies. Amazing!! I'd rather have the shots most days than not have gluten but it is what it is.

Abby said...

Peggy, yep we have antibody testing for about $100 I think - free for me since I work at a hospital. I've heard the results aren't particularly reliable, so we haven't felt a rush to get tested. Eventually.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I think my daughter had it in December and I had the same symptoms that she had in January. She did got to the doctor and was tested for strep, the flu and mono, all came back negative, so our official diagnosis was "unknown virus".

That bike count is pretty awesome, considering all the factors working against it.

Abby said...

Morgan, it would be nice if the "unknown virus" was actually THE virus and we're all immune now. In the meantime, wash your hands. Don't touch your face...

Patty said...

Being, semi-back-to-work, my patience has hit the wall, hard.

Working in a salon, here in New York, mandates that stylists must be tested every two weeks. Understandable. But, and this irks me greatly, I'm open to a third-degree each and every time a client comes in with.."have you been tested????". Dare I ask the same of them, it's not met with a favorable response! In addition, many of them complain about wearing masks during their services. It doesn't matter that all the Stylists work for 8 hours or more, wearing masks, not at all.


They're mostly ticked-off with not being served refreshments, not having any magazines, not hanging around the salon chatting with others but...they are now all getting the services they've been without for more than three months.

Today, the icing on the cake was one client who insisted that the entire COVID-19 issue has been orchestrated to take control of our universe and she refused to comply with any mandates or salon safety guidelines. She was wished much good luck on her way out the door when it was suggested she find another salon!

That...was my "final" for today and it felt dayum good!

Safe cycling and Stay well, Abby!