Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2020

a clean break

According to my stack of digital documents, we sold a house yesterday.

According to our realtor's facebook page, we sold a "Stunning Red Hot Home in Prestigious Briargate"



I suppose there were some grains of truth in that realtor-speak.  "Red Hot" as in more buyers than houses for sale currently, and "Prestigious" in that there are some fancy-pants houses in other parts of Briargate...

But hey, whatever works!

We never actually met the buyer since we moved in December and just communicated through our agents.  Make them earn that hefty commission.  From what I do know, it seems that he bought the house as an investment to either spruce up and flip in the Red Hot market or rent out.  Either way, it's no longer ours.

Kinda bittersweet actually.  It's a relief to have the house off our books, but we'd lived there for almost 16 years, so our kids really grew up there and we made a lot of memories.  It's the longest I've lived anywhere other than the family home where I lived and grew up for 18 years.

But rather than dwell on what I miss about the place, I'll count off a few things I won't miss:
  • the partying millenials next door
  • the old crappy fences, subjected to high winds
  • all that space to maintain for just, now, two people
  • the sprawl and traffic of Colorado Springs
In the meantime, Magnum's fighting off some crud virus.  Had to drag his sorry butt to the notary public to sign the closing papers.  She was probably thinking, "look at this Mr. Excitement over here".  We didn't mention the crud virus to her, and in hindsight, maybe she thought we were doing a divorce sale - Ha!

I get the pencil sharpener.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
1. Write a blog post inspired by the word: break.




7 comments:

Madamdreamweaver said...

Congrats on the sale of your Red Hot home and getting to pass on the things you don't miss to someone else. I trust you bought something more suited for a pair of empty-nesters?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Congrats on the sale! That was a lovely home but I understand how it becomes too big for just 2. I only have 2200 square ft and we are beginning to feel the same way. I'm glad you got the pencil sharpener. :-) Hope the creeping crud doesn't come with this horrible cough that Rick STILL has!

Chatty Crone said...

Congratulations on selling your home - that has to be a relief. We are waiting until the empty nest here to move. House is way to big.

Diane said...

I used to feel sentimental attachments to homes, but after a while, I realized they're just walls, ceilings, and floors. As I'm getting older, I'm finding fewer and fewer things I feel sentimental about. Probably a good thing, as my daughter doesn't want my crap! :)

Congrats on the house sale!

ShadowRun300 said...

Congratulations!! Such a huge relief, I’m sure.
I know that bittersweet feeling... when we sold the house we raised our kids in, it was crazy sad. But we sold it to a young family who loved it as much as we did, so that helped ease our sorrow. (To this day, we still drive by it when we’re in the area.)
So now that it’s sold, are you looking for a new home? You’re just renting now, right?
And sure hope Magnum is feeling better! The Crud is not much fun. :(

Linda Hensley said...

Congrats on the pencil sharpener and the sale. Wishing your next place will be full of more happy times!

Anita said...

So it's possible that I'll live in another house sometime in the future, huh? No plans to do so (especially since the thought isn't in the heads of the other occupants of the house); however, you never know.
I'm inspired by your story and by the comments here.
Glad you can check "sell house" off your list.