Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

keeping watch

A friend of ours had just gotten a new mountain bike and was trying it out on some dirt trails near downtown. While he was practicing and trying to avoid crashing, he noticed a growing police presence in the area.  Soon, he figured he needed to get out of their way as it looked like something was going down.

Strangely, it seemed wherever he went, he saw more cops.  Eventually, one pulled him aside.

As I remember the story, the police were called about criminal activity in the area - the bad guy was on a bike.  They saw Jerome and figured he must be the bad guy because he was black.

At the time, we found the story amusing.  Jerome himself told it in a joking and animated way.  Jerome?  A criminal?  No freaking way!

This happened about 30 years ago and was so wrong then, but clearly, things have not changed.

It's outrageous to me that such racism is still so widespread in the U.S.


Last week, I cringed while watching the video of Amy Cooper freaking out and then making false accusations to the police about a black man asking her to leash her dog in Central Park NY.

She lost her job, she lost her dog, and claims her "whole life is being destroyed".  I have absolutely no sympathy for Amy Cooper.



Before that, video of Ahmaud Arbery shot dead while out for a run.  And, of course, George Floyd.  I can't unsee these videos, nor should I.  Yes, we're watching.  And we're recording.

I think back to Jerome.  No one had smart phones back then.  No such thing as video cameras in people's pockets and purses and backpacks. The police left Jerome alone after a few questions, but it could've easily gone much worse.

Last week, while working at the hospital (before the anti-racism protests erupted), we were talking about how it seemed there were more speed traps and police presence in town than usual.  Since I rarely drive, I hadn't noticed, but I saw similar grumblings on social media.

My coworker Em, the chef, told us that she's been stopped by cops six times for "driving while black".  No violations.  No tickets.  But pulled over six times.

I've been pulled over twice in my whole life (oops, forgot to put on the new registration sticker 😶)

Yesterday, I took Merlin to the vet for a check up and vaccinations.  Because of COVID-19 precautions, I met with the technicians in the parking lot, and they took Merlin inside while I waited outside.

We had walked to the vet's, so I hung out under some shady trees while strangely talking with the vet over the phone.

I was near an apartment complex and wondered if anyone would find it suspicious that a 50-something woman was seemingly just hanging around outside.

Nah, nothing suspicious there.

But if I was black...?




7 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

What also sickened me about the video of George Floyd was the cocky way that cop had his hand in his pocket as if to say "Look me keeping this guy on the ground with one foot". The only good thing about it all was he got filmed for the whole world to see. I bet he's not feeling so cocky now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You'd have been at the very least stopped and spoken to.
I saw that meme a few weeks ago and I love it.
My sister married a black man and my father was Archie Bunker. This changed him 180 degrees. He apologized for the rest of his living days.

Abby said...

LLC Joe, right? He was so sickeningly smug about it, even though he knew he was being recorded. He must have thought he was above the law. I prefer the shell shocked look of his mug shot.

Peggy, yep, someone would've probably called the po-po on me for sitting there. Good for your sister for not conforming to your father's previous expectations, and good for "Archie" for coming around!

Chatty Crone said...

I feel terrible about George Floyd. However what is happening now - is not because of him. Rioting - damaging buildings - hurting others - and looting is not protesting to me anyway.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patty on the news all the looters in the south were white and most were not from the area. There to just cause trouble. It was on the national news including cable news. There is a huge twitter response and most were found to be from out of this country. trying to cause trouble. Like we don't have enough. But until we listen, there will always be trouble.

Tanza Erlambang said...

love to read your post, between humor and sarcasm....
Your story enrich my understanding about America....
Thank you for sharing.

Abby said...

Sandie, yep most (all?) of the looters are really opportunists and trouble makers, making a bad situation worse. Like we don't have enough going on!

Tanza, thanks for stopping by!