Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

sizzlin'

A couple of my coworkers at the hospital are similar but different women.  Similar in that they both have strong personalities, are good at what they do, and have been working there since the place opened a little less than five years ago.

They don't get along.

Tee is a nutritionist/ dietitian.  Em is a chef.  Tee trained me for my job, but I work more closely with Em.  I happen to like both of them (and I think the feeling is mutual?), but I don't like being around when they're in the same room together, which, thankfully, is not often.

Em runs the show in the kitchen, is known to dance around - particularly on Friday afternoons - and make fun observations of the day-to-day goings on.  Her food is delicious, and she often whips up batches of cookies just for the fun of it while somehow completing all of her tasks as well as picking up others' slack.

Tee works mainly in the retail cafe', helping customers, making recommendations, checking that ready-to-go and buffet items are nicely displayed and up to par, and keeping the cafe' tidy and attractive.

I trained with Tee for my first two days, and I think it was day one where she told me, under her breath, "Yeah, we don't get along", referring to Em.  So I was a bit intrigued, but not wanting to get caught up in any kitchen cat fight.  What's not to like about either of them?

I've never witnessed the two of them arguing.  They are cordial with one another, and stuff gets done.  I suspect there've been open arguments in the past that have reached an agree-to-disagree status that everyone is aware of.


I think I've somewhat figured it out.  It goes back to simply, Tee is a nutritionist/ dietitian.  Em is a chef.

Tee wants recipes to be followed to the letter.  A dish calls for 5 ounces of hummus?  It better have 5 ounces of hummus, plus or minus nothing.

Em wants food that looks appealing and tastes amazing.  Hmmm, might be better with more like 3 ounces of hummus?  3 ounces it is.

Tee wants to not have to throw any food away - sustainability and all that.  Em wants plentiful portions available, plus the main dishes look nice when displayed in large, full pans.

Now, Tee is not wholly against making a substitution here and there.  And Em isn't changing things up so much as to severely alter nutritional content.

Me?  I stay out of it.  I can certainly see both points of view, but this is a semi-retirement side gig for me anyway.  I enjoy the psychological research.


What do you think?  Are you a Tee or an Em?  Or an Abby?



7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm with Abby on this one.
I see both sides.
Before I was diagnosed with Celiac they got me a nutritionist. I found her lovely but lacking the ability to have a gray area. It was black and white with her.
Nothing with this person was spontaneous. She was regimented and almost armed services like. She was nice and kind to me but there was no gray area with her. I could tell she lived her life this way and I admit she intrigued me.
Now having said that my mind went to my nutritionist as I read this story so I was a bit biased. I am certain not all nutritionists are lacking humor or lack a "gray" area.
But I can see how the free-spirited Em would find the lack of flexibility a bit daunting shall we say. :-) I think it's good that they worked out working together though.
Hey they are both nice people and if they can make it work I applaud them.

Chatty Crone said...

I'm an Abby on this one too. Enjoy both women and stay out of it. lol

Abby said...

Margaret, that's interesting about your nutritionist. I've never dealt with one before Tee, and I wonder if most all of them are so regimented. Does the schooling make them that way, or are they that way to begin with, so are drawn to the profession?

Sandie, I'm staying an Abby here :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Or maybe it's nothing to do with work. Maybe one of them had an affair with the other ones partner?

Anyway, yep best to keep right out of it, and if you have take sides go with Em, because she makes cookies on the side. :D

Abby said...

Joey, hmmmm... I had not considered the affair angle! Now I'm replaying some conversations I've had with each of them making snide comments about the other. But yes, when in doubt, stick with the cookie source :D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, interesting thought. I have a feeling those are the types drawn to this field.

Abby said...

Peggy, probably true. And I'm thinking the more free spirited types are drawn to culinary arts. Em is probably actually less "free spirit" than others considering she can make it through all the hoops to work at a hospital :)