Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

incident at canola vanilla?

I saw her, last minute, out of the corner of my eye.  If she'd been a mean pit bull, Merlin and I would've probably been toast.  But she was a sweetie pit bull.

Merlin and I were out for a stroll on a recent evening.  We came around a car parked on the street, and that's when the pooch came out to greet us.  To be honest, she didn't take much notice of me as she was mostly interested in Merlin's junk. 

"Oh, I'm sorry!", said the woman working in her front yard, "I should've had her on a leash!"

I assured her it was no problem and remarked on what a nice and pretty dog she had. Truly, the dog had a beautiful coat and healthy glow about her.  Super friendly and sweet too.  She was obedient to the woman's commands, so I understood how they'd be hanging out in the front yard with no leash. 

"Oh, thank you.  Yours too!", she nodded toward Merlin.  And then, "Come on, Canilla"

I was thinking, "Canilla".  Maybe the woman is a foodie and likes canilla rice?  Or couldn't decide between canola and vanilla?  Maybe I heard wrong, and the dog's name is Camilla? 

Either way, it was a brief but pleasant exchange.  I'd never seen this neighbor before, although I've walked by that house.  She was early 30's I'd say, pretty, with longish hair and burgundy highlights.  I think she was working on a flower garden.  Not a soccer mom/ Karen type, but not trashy either.  She wore a sleeveless top and had a floral tattoo on an upper arm as I do.

So what? 

Well!  This morning, I was out for a run.  We live near a high school, and as I was returning to the
'hood, I saw several police vehicles entering the high school parking lot.  Cop cars and SUVs.  Big pickups pulling large trailers. An armored SWAT vehicle.  I figured they were arriving for some training or demonstration as I've seen the HS parking lot used for such things.  Not much else going on there right now.

I did my little homestretch loop around the neighborhood and came upon all those coppers lining the street not far from our house.  One vehicle had blocked off the entrance to Canilla's street and the SWAT vehicle was in front of her house.  I saw two people sitting on the ground, a man and Canilla's mom.

I tried to mind my own business and keep running while gawking.  I crossed paths with another  neighbor out walking his dog and we exchanged wordless looks that clearly said, "WTF?!"

I know nothing of what was going down.  I checked our Nextdoor feed and saw that someone had asked about it, but no one knows any details.  Well, not on Nextdoor anyways. 

From what I saw, there didn't seem to be any resistance.  The dude and Camilla's mom were just sitting on the ground looking dejected. The police seemed relaxed, despite the heavy presence.  Magnum thinks it might've been a domestic incident involving firearms? 

I dunno.  Canilla's mom (since I never got her name) seemed fine from my first impression.  You know how you can meet someone and know right away if you "click" or not? 

I'd totally go to her house for Thanksgiving.




5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow. Now that was a walk/run.

I had to laugh at the "click" and going to her house for thanksgiving. My statement when I meet someone I am excited to have met because I like them I always say, Ooh I could belly up to the bar with them. It's so rare I meet "normal" women. It bums me out.

Chatty Crone said...

Interesting - wonder what happened?

Abby said...

Peggy, I more often meet women I wouldn't want to spend thanksgiving with... unless there's a lot more people there along with wine.

Sandie, police website says warrant for DUI and drug possession. Don't know why the SWAT team and all that other fuss. Probably more to the story.

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

Oh wow, now my curiosity is piqued.....wonder what could have happened?

I'm so glad Canilla was a sweet pit. I'm worried my pit boy, Ari, wouldn't be. He hasn't been very well socialized since puppyhood, though he was a sweetheart then. But since new neighbors with dogs moved in, he spends a lot of time barking and growling at those dogs, and they do the same.

Sort of related: my ex had a dog named Camilla. She was a sweet girl.

Kim

Abby said...

Kim, yes, Canilla seemed to still be pretty young, though not a puppy. She was a real sweetie, but yeah. Older and bigger pits (and others) can be scary, even when on a leash.