Pages

Friday, June 12, 2020

I miss yer face

I was at Costco earlier today and noticing the fashionable variety of facemasks.  Remember the early days of COVID mask wearing?  Lots of DIY masks from old shirts or generic household items, bandanas, etc.  A few people wore N-95 masks and made us wonder how they came about owning one.

But now, I think we can safely say that a whole new fashion category has opened up.

And speaking for myself, back in the early days, it felt weird to wear a mask in the store or anywhere for that matter.  People were constantly messing with them so they didn't fall off the face or fog the glasses.

But now, it would feel strange to shop without one.

Where I live, I rarely see people wearing masks outside.  But I know that some places, more densely populated, masks are worn outside in public as well as inside.  Photos from recent protest gatherings show a majority of mask wearers.  They've become part of our daily attire.

I happen to have a variety to choose from.  My mother-in-law made masks for several family members, and for me, the purple patterned one on the top left.  I like it as it's comfortable and stays put with a pipe cleaner in the nose bridge.  I typically wear it to work at the hospital for the pattern that contrasts with my all-black work garb.  I mean, when receiving a hospital meal, who wants to have someone looking like the angel of death presenting it?


I got the black one from vida  It is also comfortable to wear for several hours and includes a carbon insert.  That's usually my go-to for the grocery store.

As shown in the lower left, I have several of these neck gaiter things in various colors and patterns.  They're quite handy and can be worn around the neck for those just-in-case-I-need-to-go-inside-a-building instances while out for a bike ride or walk.

Then there's the it'll-do-in-a-pinch bandana.

I appreciate the creativity and individual expression that have grown out of the public's compliance with mask wearing.  But I also miss seeing whole faces.  At work, it's particularly limiting to carry on a conversation and not see full expressions.  Then there's the muffled speech.  And since a good portion of my workday is spent in a commercial kitchen, throw in noise from the various fans and blowers, and there's a lot of repeating going on.  At times, my fun co-worker Hui might as well be speaking to me in her native Chinese.

As more businesses and activities open up, I think mask-wearing is going to remain for quite a while.  And even if mask requirements are loosened, I bet a lot of people will voluntarily continue to wear them.  But I look forward to a day where we look back and say, "I wonder where all those masks went"

In the meantime, assume I'm always smiling. 😃

So... what're you wearing?

----------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
6. Write about something you are looking forward to.

11 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I am wearing a mask - but I have to say here where I live - it is about half and half.

Linda Hensley said...

I miss seeing faces too, though when I see unmasked people I think, "You're not being socially responsible!" I've also realized I do an awful lot of lip reading in normal times. I'll be happy when normal times come back but I think it's going to be quite a while.

Abby said...

Sandie, I don't see many wearing masks outside. When I do, I always give them lots of space.

Linda, same here - lip reading and expression reading. Now all we have is eyes.

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

Love the masks! I usually wear a work-provided disposable one at work, but for out and about, I have some cute scarves I don't really get to wear otherwise. I like the idea of them as a fashion statement/accessory as long as we should be wearing them - but it would be nice to ditch them entirely. One thing I have noticed is that my breathing is a LOT better since wearing one. After I got used to it, that is. I haven't needed my rescue inhaler until the other day, but the farmers around here are stirring up dust doing their planting. I'm pretty sure that's why.

Kim

Abby said...

Kim, I've noticed breathing improvement too, from the masks for seasonal allergies. Silver linings!

Patty said...

Masks have become quite a fashion statement of late.

I ordered one for my boss...black with a white zipper design for teeth and a padlock in the mouth's corner. Understand, if you will, my sarcasm directed at a boss who n e v e r stops talking. Never.

She wears it well. Still talks but the mask muffles it well.

Stay safe!

Abby said...

Patty, cute! I also have a boss who talks constantly. Extrovert with capitol E.

John Holton said...

About the only time I wear a mask is when I absolutely have to. Then again, I don't go out that much. I'm handicapped and pretty much only go out when my wife does, too. I don't go out with her as a rule when she's running errands, unless we have plans to get lunch or something.

Abby said...

John, glad you're getting out some. I think I do the bulk of the errand running. With the restrictions, I find I actually look forward to them.

KatBouska said...

I feel like a toddler, I hate wearing the masks. I do it, but I'll be honest and say that I wear them mostly because I don't like the angry faces I get if I go without. Maybe if I had a lovely variety to choose from like you, I'd look forward to wearing them! ;)

Abby said...

Kat, think, "fashion statement"!