Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

van sleeping and quarantine eating

Sleeping-in-idling-minivan woman?  Once again, she was "there" Saturday morning.  For all I know, she (and others?) are there during other times, but I've only noticed the phenomenon on (say those two words together three times) Saturday mornings when I head out for joyful runs.

Once again, she appeared to be sleeping.  Once again, she was gone a short while later. 

Suffice to say I'm not curious enough to set up a stakeout.  Mounting a wildlife camera, however, I wouldn't hate.  Either way, it provides something to ponder these days.

In the meantime, as I've been keeping myself informed on informative things during safer-at-home, I came across this educational graphic:





So far, I've lived in three U.S. states:  Colorado, New York, and Utah, with the longest time in Colorado.  Yes, oh Yes, I've had a NY (aptly named) Garbage Plate.  And one cannot attend a potluck in Utah without encountering Jell-O salad - always green, from my surveillance. 

Rocky Mountain Oysters, however, I've never had.  For those who don't know, Rocky Mountain Oysters are not seafood.  They're bull calf testicles.  Most bulls become steers at a young age, so these are the leftovers.  Shame to just throw them away!

In scanning this map, there are plenty of things I've never tried and many I'm not even sure what they are.  Maybe I'll put Rocky Mountain Oysters on my bucket list.

Maybe not.

What are you eating?



11 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Okay boiled peanuts in Georgia - some people love them - NOT ME!
Maybe the gal in the van - is a dealer.

Brian said...

Surprised the Garbage plate made New York's weirdest food. Know where it was invented & trademarked/copyrighted? Nick Tahou's right here in downtown Rochester.

I'll pass on the Rocky mountain Oysters tho.

Abby said...

Sandie, I can't say I've ever had boiled peanuts. Trying to think of why boil 'em?
Van woman does seem like she's doing dealing activity, but rather openly. We've lived here for about 4 months, and I don't suspect a crack house neighborhood!

Brian, yes, I felt reminiscent when I saw the Garbage plate on the map (don't know the source). Nick Tahou's was my first and spoiled me for any other :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I am not eating testicles. I wasn't even brave enough to try them.
I was at an event in Colorado for work. They had a buffet and they had something called "Buffalo Balls" Everyone wouldn't eat them because they thought they were rocky mountain oysters. But they were meatballs made with buffalo ground meat. That made me laugh!
I've lived in 4 states and I wouldn't eat the things listed for the state if you paid me. Scrapple is gross!!! Geoducks were a fav of my husbands but I am not a fan of seafood.
Is there a pasta or veggie state? And what prey tell is Pasties besides something a stripper puts on her nipples? :-)

Herb said...

I think of pasties as an upper Michigan food. The miners used to carry them down into the iron mines for their lunch. They are like a beef stew calzone. They are awesome!
Van lady being a dealer just doesn't seem like a thing only because she's so predictable. Have you considered leaving for your run earlier and perhaps catching her while she's awake and making eye contact with her?
No one has ever offered me RMOs but I would consider trying them. I imagine it's like a lot of other food and depends on the seasonings used. I don't know.

Abby said...

Peggy, "Buffalo Balls" HA! Well, we eat their wings...
Geoducks, to me, sounds like an educational kids' tv show. And yeah, I only know your definition of pasties.

Herb, I understand that RMOs are typically deep fried in batter. I guess I'd give them a whirl, but like you, I've never been offered.
Get up earlier? eh...

ShadowRun300 said...

Why does my state of MO not have some weird claim to fame food? Provel cheese? It’s so normal! Well, maybe not on pizza, like we use it, but a normal food just the same. Boiled peanuts are as yuck as they sound. Hot beef sundae and ice cream potato? I’ll stick with plain vanilla ice cream myself. And yeah.... pasties.... only know them as one thing...

Anonymous said...

"Pasty" rhymes with "nasty", though pasties are quite good. Super simple, they're literally nothing more than ground beef & onions in a closed crust. "Beef Calzone" nails it. Easy to stuff in your jacket pockets for a hearty meal down in the mines of Butte MT. Eaten with ketchup. To vary the recipe is somewhat sacrilege, I'm told.

And "Geoduck" is pronounced "gooey duck". It's neither gooey nor duck....but if you put one in between a coupla RMO's, well now ya got a gigglefest. Fair Warning: Be careful with Google images here.

Abby said...

SR300, for what it's worth, I don't think I've ever had provel cheese. Maybe it's kinda like that green jell-o in Utah? I swear that stuff is EVERYwhere in the state! Gotta get me some provel cheese pizza in St. Louie!

Anon, okay, pasties sound sort of like an Australian meat pie? As for Geoduck, I went ahead and googled. Needs a "NSFW" tag! Whose idea was it to eat those??

Linda Hensley said...

I'd never heard of goetta, but that's from the other side of Ohio and those people just don't think right.

Abby said...

Linda, HA! I've never heard of goetta either, so maybe that's a good thing?