Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

primed

I have this neck gaiter thing.  I think it was a "participation prize" from a 5K a few years back, and it's really comfy and useful and not just for necks.  It can be worn as a beanie or headband or balaclava.  It protects from the elements while being very lightweight and stretchy, so can also be worn on hot days as protection from the sun.

I typically wear it while bicycling, and I recently noticed that it's getting a bit worn out. With the covid quarantine, I'm always looking for a good excuse to order something online to provide a short-lived false euphora do my part to stimulate the economy.


I quickly found just what I was looking for - a 6-pack of them in a variety of colors and patterns.






"Currently Sold Out".  Whaaaaaaat?







Sheesh, it seems that these wraps are much like the 1/4" elastic I've been desperately seeking.  Yeah, okay, they sort of work as a facemask.  I think of them more as something to wear to knock off a 7-11, rather than to legitimately go out in public, but okay.

I did order some though, as they'll be available soon.

Here are a few other items to fill my emptiness I've needed to purchase recently:

These packets of Maxim (isn't that a hussy magazine?) Korean coffee.  I discovered these years ago when Chaco came home after his first year of college.  His then roommate and now good friend is Korean and they had a mother lode of these coffee packet sticks.

I don't normally like instant coffee nor do I put sugar in my cuppa, but these packs make for a nice hot beverage break once in a while.  I find I like having them around even though I can't read a darn thing on them.


   

The next thing I see in my order archive are these Scotch Brite lint rollers, pack of 3.  Wow.  How boring am I?

We have two dogs and a cat.  So be it.







And to continue with the old lady theme, the next purchase - not counting the various nutritional supplements - is a 3-pack of compression socks.

Back in the day, I think these were typically white and worn by old people with circulation problems and called "support hosiery".
These days, they're black, called "compression socks", and considered athletic wear.

I bought them for working in a kitchen, and I also often wear them for running.   But yeah, they're... support hosiery.





All in all, I think I'm doing okay with keeping the online shopping in check during the quarantine.  Since we thought we would be moving again soon, that was good motivation to not add to the pile.  But now we're "settled".

Maybe I'll go read some Marie Kondo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Are you shopping online more now that we’re in quarantine? Share some of your recent purchases.





13 comments:

Lori said...

Those Neck Gaitor things look pretty cool. I can see where they would have all kinds of uses. So you're looking for 1/4" elastic too? I ordered some to pre-cut for my friend who is making masks for people. Had to order from Ebay and it's turned into a big pain. I ordered it on April 3 and it's still not here and meantime my friend found cord on Amazon that she likes better for masks, so we've been using that. Still trying to get a refund from Ebay. First World Problems, I suppose. You're shopping doesn't seem too over the top, I'd say you're exercising some pretty good restraint there.

KatBouska said...

You're the most reasonable splurge shopper ever. I totally want to try that Korean coffee now. I bet you can find those neck things on ebay!

Chatty Crone said...

Looks like you got a nice variety of items - I love to shop too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have the time to shop now but not the money. I have never worn compression socks. But I know when I wear my "boot" to deal with my pesty Achilles it is a compression boot and I just love that feeling. So maybe I'd like those "athletic" wear. I'm such an athlete you know. I ran up and down the stairs yesterday 23 times. I counted, yes I did. (I hate my stairs.) That was my athletic endeavor for the day.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I buy lint rollers by the bulk too....and they are all over my house....I'm not quite sure where to store them where they are quickly available when needed :)

Abby said...

Lori, I think 1/4" elastic is the new toilet paper.

Kat, ebay!

Sandie, I like shopping and having the stuff arrive. Then I'm all, "now what"?

Abby said...

Peggy, try the socks! They give your feet and legs a nice hug :).
23 times up and down stairs could be an Olympic event.

Morgan, right? They are great to have around, but where to stash them??

Anita said...

Back when the clean hands hysteria was new, I found little portable stands to hang wash cloths over - $2.99 each. Thought I'd get one for each family member to use in the kitchen for washing hands, to avoid using yet another paper towel or the communal dish towel. Then had your reaction when they were sold out. Hindsight: not surprised. We're all thinking alike these days...most of us.

Madamdreamweaver said...

yeah, so much is sold out. I used my last pack of yeast and need venture out to look more more perhaps. The socks were cool. I love lint rollers because we used to have a cat and also because I wear a lot of black capri's or pants that need lint rolling.

Tee said...

I've got a freebie neck gaitor thing too. I ordered a bunch of the fleece-lined variety with cool patterns for the kids at Christmastime, and my purchase came with two free lightweight gaitors. I kept the girly one, and gave away the one with a skeleton face. I discovered it makes for a great headband, and have also now realized it's an easy facemask. So I too went to Amazon to order a bunch more, and found most were out of stock. But I did find a nice four-pack that was available and should arrive any day now.

Lint rollers are always on hand at our house as well. Since the hubby works for the company that makes them, I tell him when he needs to put in an order at the company store. He buys 'em by the dozen! :-)

Linda Hensley said...

I've completely stopped shopping for anything. I think it's my own way of coping with the current situation. I thought maybe I'd break down and get groceries sometime but I haven't even done that. I suppose at some point I'll have to restock but now that things are growing outside maybe I won't. I keep thinking about pizza and ice cream though :)

Ginny said...

I've been looking for some of those neck gaitor things too as an alternative face covering. I'm thinking of ordering some from Marathon Sports (It's a Massachusetts based sporting gear store but they ship in the US) they have a lot of fun ones in stock.

Patty said...

It seems everyone is on the compression sock wagon or, compression anything...gloves, back brace, knee brace!

Ordering most things online, of late, has been a bit of a challenge, depending on what the item is. There is so much coming in from out of the U.S. along with a constant 5 to 6 week delivery time, ONCE they process your order. Very frustrating.

And, you are far from boring as far as the lint rollers are concerned. I have 6 in one of my linen closets that I had forgotten about until I read your post!

Stay safe, Abby!