Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

open season?

Our governor announced this week that businesses will be allowed to start opening up again this weekend.  Hospitals can begin scheduling elective surgeries, dentist offices can open, etc.  It will be a slow ramping up of activity, and we'll watch and wait.

Restaurants, bars, and clubs are looking at mid-May openings.  Hair salons and spas can open next week.  All of this with precautions left in place - don't gather in large groups, wash your hands, wear masks...  School districts and colleges decided weeks ago to not reopen for the remainder of spring semester.



I wasn't too surprised about retail shops being allowed to open.  A lot of places remained in business, offering curbside and in-store pickup, throughout the "lockdown".



But I was a bit surprised that barber shops and hair salons will be opening.  Were the decision makers tired of their quarantine hair?





I attended a party last night. Woo, what a bash.



Girls gone wild, I tellya.

Really, it was better than nothing.  The isolation affects some people harder than others, so a gathering of any kind is good.

Jane says, "It's great!  I've learned how to order groceries online, I'm getting lots of sleep and reading lots of books!"

Sarah says, "The buttons on my jeans have started to social distance from each other"

Bottom line, no one is sick or destitute or lacking toilet paper.  Whew.

The hospital provides us with procedure masks, which are now mandatory for everyone in the building.  The masks aren't reusable after each shift, so I'm going to make a better and washable DIY one so I'm not dipping into the PPE supply each workday. 

Yesterday, I was out getting provisions and hit up the craft section hoping to find some 1/4" or 1/2" elastic.  All gone.  Sold to other mask makers, no doubt.

Time to get creative.




Got a homemade mask?  Care to share?




8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby there is no way in hell I'd get my hair done or go to a retail store. This is too early. We had another 30 deaths yesterday here why the hell would I go outside and put myself at this kind of risk for a damn hair cut?
Here is the appropriate analog:
"The curve is flattening: we can start lifting restrictions now" = The parachute has slowed our rate of descent, we can take it off now"

Abby said...

Peggy, I don't see people rushing to hair salons either, just because they're open. And I doubt there will be a mad rush to non-essential stores. I suspect a lot of business will remain curbside and pickup.

Chatty Crone said...

Did you do that on Zoom? I tried to gather people and then I remembered my computer - has no microphone so I didn't think it would work too well.
Well - and I am NOT happy about this. Georgia opens Friday to hair - massages - tattoos - and Monday to restaurants - can you tell I am against it? Well I am over 65 with secondary conditions. Maybe that is a reason.

Abby said...

Sandie, yes it was via zoom. Does your computer have a built in webcam? If so, you should also have a mic. You can test it on zoom. You can also access zoom meetings through a smart phone.
I'd heard about Georgia. I'm sure you'll make smart choices to help stay safe!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't take it any longer (literally). Watched a YouTube video then gave myself a haircut. Once you get into that first clipper strip, there's no turning back! No regrets, surprisingly....

Abby said...

Anonymous, nice work! I've seen a few quarantine haircuts. Some aren't too shabby. Some... are

Brian said...

People around here are absolutely nuts for elastic bands. Some folks have made a little cottage industry out of making them. Thinking on that thread, for elastic, what about raiding an old pair of Magnum's underwear. Or your own for that matter. It's a little off the wall - but so are the times we're living in!

Abby said...

Brian, as I pondered alternate sources of elastic, the underpants route did cross my mind! (That's as far as it got)