Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

hospital crickets and senior photos

I have a productive day ahead!  We'll see if it actually happens...

Normally, I'd be working at the hospital today, but hours have been cut.  Like many other hospitals, ours is nearly empty.  Elective surgeries and procedures have been postponed until after the quarantine, whenever that is.  Our Women and Infant Services unit (a.k.a "maternity"?) has closed, and moms are diverted to another of our hospitals.

So, we are essentially an ER with lots of empty beds and a skeleton crew in the kitchen and dining room.  We have taken in some covid patients, but they are treated and sent home.  If they need further  hospitalization, they're sent to our Mother Ship hospital in Greeley.

This is good news, naturally, in the grand pandemic sense.  News headlines highlight overwhelmed hospitals and staff, but that's just  not the case for many - most? - hospitals.  I'm lucky that my hospital job is just another side gig and not a full-time source of income.

On the other side gig side, I still have a handful of tutees.  A couple are SAT preppers, although SATs are also cancelled until maybe June.  These two need extra prep time, though, and they know it and are taking advantage.  With school activities cancelled, what else they got to do?

I feel bad for high schoolers, particularly seniors.  Looking back now, those things - banquets, athletic events, performances, prom, etc. - that seemed like big deals really weren't, but still.  Seniors today don't know that yet.  Have you seen or participated in the latest facebook photo challenge/game/thing?  Supposedly to inspire the class of 2020, post your senior class photo.  A few of my friends have participated, and it's harmless enough.  But really, I say...



Preach it, Picard!

With my downtime today, I plan on cleaning up and organizing some lesson plans, geeking out with a spreadsheet or two.  Maybe get in some housekeeping while I'm at it.

In the meantime, here's something I ran across on my instagram feed - a screenshot of a Tinder conversation.  Not MY Tinder conversation, mind you!  I don't have a Tinder account.
My tutees would probably get a laugh out of it, but they won't be seeing it from me!









4 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm really pleased I don't have Facebook. I don't quite see the point in the Senior photo challenge, but maybe I'm just being a party pooper.

Chatty Crone said...

Well I know you are glad your hospital is near empty and not filled with virus patients. It is a crazy world and I am glad you are okay.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby I too found the senior photos stupid. I hear them saying hey boomer when I see these! I am glad your hospital is empty. I realize it's because of the pandemic but most hospitals are full due to the pandemic. So nice to hear this good news. We had 453 new cases yesterday so we have not leveled out the curve. We need to be inside for a few more weeks for certain!!

Abby said...

Joey, the senior photo challenge is one of the lesser silly things on facebook. You're not missing much!

Sandie, yes, it's a welcome reason to idle at the hospital!

Peggy, the senior photo thing seems a bit like rubbing it in their faces - "Sorry your senior year sucks, but mine was awesome! Feel better?"