Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2020

fools rush in

I was working at the hospital yesterday when Chris, a coworker, entered the kitchen looking rather panicked.

"[Boss], I'm so sorry.  I delivered a tray to a patient and tripped on the cart.  I spilled hot coffee all over the guy"

And we were all thinking, Tripped?  What?  Hot coffee?  Whaaaaat? Poor dude's already in the hospital, and now you've burned him too?! Just because everyone's thinking about COVID-19 doesn't mean we can forget about everything else!

All that thinking happened in about a half second along with the manager's heart momentarily stopping before Chris said,

"April Fools!"

Ack, that guy!

Just because everyone's thinking about COVID-19 doesn't mean we can forget to prank each other.




I'm glad to still be working outside of the house, not only for the pay, but for the human contact.  I wonder about the lasting effects of social distancing.  Yes, we have Skype and Zoom and Facetime, etc.  Still doesn't seem like quite the same.





Another coworker is Marty, a line cook.  He has the habit of using the f-word on a regular basis in everyday conversation.  He doesn't use it in anger.  In fact, he's a very relaxed and courteous person who is actually quite articulate otherwise.  It's become rather comical the way he'll drop an f-bomb while talking about most any topic.

He's also a fellow bicycle commuter.  Yesterday, I pulled up to the bike rack and didn't see Marty's bike.  But I instantly noticed a beautiful all black road bike, all tricked out for commuting.  I hadn't seen it before and wondered whose it was.  Almost took a photo for the facebook commuter group, it was so pretty.

Lo and behold, Marty was working yesterday.  He asked if I'd biked in, and I said, "Yep... is that your black Specialized in the bike rack?"

"Yeah", he replied as if hoping I would've noticed it. He went on to gush a bit about the bike and his ride in that morning.  All the while, I noticed in the back of my head that he had yet to drop an f-bomb.  Hmmm... maybe when he gets to talking about certain topics...

"...so I said yeah, f**k it, I'll buy it", he concluded.

Then again, maybe familiarity is a good thing during this time too.


If isolated from work or scheduled group activities, what are you missing most?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Share something that made you laugh this week.




7 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

Your co-workers sound hilarious! You almost made it through a convo with him without the f bomb. :)

John Holton said...

Sounds like April Fool's Day came at a good time this year...

KatBouska said...

Oh man, you did have me panicking with the spilled coffee story. I fall for the April Fools jokes EVERY time!

Patty said...

Wow, that "hot coffee" deal definitely got my attention.

F-bombs, of late, have been a very mundane, and frequent, part of both my conversations and thoughts. Saying them, thinking them, writing them...all give me power during this almost powerless virus situation.

Stay well, stay safe, Abby!

Linda Hensley said...

Back in college my psychology teacher said swearing was a benign and healthy outlet. I must be very healthy!

Brian said...

I have a co-worker that drops so many f-bombs we don't even notice them anymore. Neither does he! He's like Lebowski.

Tee said...

It's good to hear that people are still having fun! I've spent too much time on Facebook and saw so many postings about how we needed to avoid April Fools Day jokes considering all that's going on. I'm in the camp that believes we need to keep our humor.