Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2020

gas is cheap, but where you gonna go?

I walked into the hospital where I work part-time culinary yesterday.  I usually enter through the staff entrance, but decided to go through the front because it was shady there vs. having to walk with the sun in my eyes.

Just inside the front entrance is an information desk where a volunteer usually sits and directs visitors.  Not yesterday.  As soon as I entered, a guy wearing scrubs and a face mask jumped up to "greet" me.  I quickly flashed my employee badge, and we both went "whew!"

Although I know the place is running at full staff, the hallways are strangely quiet, save for the ubiquitous muzak.  The latest mandates:

  • No visitors except for patients under the age of 18, and then, only one visitor
  • For birthing mothers, one labor coach is allowed
  • Visitation for end-of-life patients is decided on a case by case basis
  • No volunteers.  Good since most of our volunteers are over the age of 60

Gift shop is closed and our cafe is closed for dine-in, and there is no self-serve anything.  Customers can order off the menu, or point to daily specials displayed from behind a  makeshift clear barrier and be served a la school lunch lady mode.  It's get in, get your food handed to you in disposable packaging, get out.

As for patients, I don't know how many are currently being treated for COVID-19 since it's none of my business.  For food delivery, we are just provided information regarding necessary levels of patient isolation if any.  The level protocols range from no precaution to as if it's for Hannibal Lecter.

At the end of last week, we had to answer a series of questions upon arrival to work each day.  First of all, did we have a fever of 99.5 F or higher?  Other questions had to do with symptoms like runny nose, cough, etc. or close contact with anyone else with such symptoms.  Answering "yes" could get you sent home.  This week, the questionnaires are no more.  

Like every place else, we're figuring things out as we go.  Being at a hospital leaves me privy to information sooner rather than later, but information changes almost hourly.  I'm grateful to be there and supporting the medical staff and patients. And while others' incomes have become scarily slashed and/or uncertain, I'm grateful to be putting in some extra time at the hospital and also with the tuting as my students are home from school with extra time on their hands.  Online is the place to be!

I've had a few students tell me they didn't know the definition of "unprecedented" as it comes up in a vocabulary exercise.  I explain the meaning with an example.  Boy howdy, got a good example now!



While this whole global pandemic is new territory, I'm glad we have the technical capability for many to work from home, and for some stuff and commerce to still get done.  Imagine if this would've happened when my generation was growing up?










------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
1.  It’s been another week. Share an update about how your city/state is reacting to the Coronavirus


13 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

I'm still working with the public....we were told 'business as normal' and just to wash our hands and sanitize our desks. Well, when people cough and sneeze directly in our faces, either of those things help. I've offered solutions and suggestions to keep us safe and was still told 'business as normal' I guess when the whole office gets quarantined it will not longer be business as normal.

Kids are out of school for the rest of the year. That's fine. It's all fine.

I'm glad you are still able to work.

It's going to be an interesting few months... :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby I feel we could have handled it better. We were used to not being a microwave generation. You know, instant gratification. I could play games, jacks etc for hours. We read books on a log in the woods. (yes I did that!) We didn't have much tv so we were used to going outside. I honestly think it would have been easier then than now at least in the realm of staying at home with your family. We would have driven my mother mad but then she'd make us bake or do a puzzle or do something. But today's kids aren't used to that so they are clueless. If it is not electronic they can't deal. They can't be still for a minute without a phone, ipad, something. They have no idea what to do in downtime as do their parents. I feel so sorry for both those generations. This must be so damn hard for them. And seriously on another note, a kid who you tutor for SAT's doesn't know the work unprecedented? He/She must be at least 16 - what the hell are they teaching them then? That is a simple word!

Abby said...

Morgan, there does seem to be quite a bit of "business as usual" out there without government mandate. Clean, sanitize, don't touch your face...!

Peg, oh yeah, we would've handled it fine, emotionally. I'm referring to being able to conduct much more business online nowadays, so some people can still work during the chaos. When we were kids, there was no online!
And yeah, it's often surprising to me how much high school juniors and seniors don't know. I could write a whole rant, but suffice to say it's a big part of my realization that I did NOT want to work in public school :P

John Holton said...

I put glue (specifically Elmer's Glue-All) on my hands, too!

Abby said...

John, good times, eh John? I will also admit that I was a big fangirl of Elsie the cow - Elmer's wife!

ShadowRun300 said...

Being in the hotel business, this has been crazy difficult. I have 88 team members who counted on me first to keep them safe from the virus, and now to help them navigate their future.. they are getting no hours because we have no business. We’ve had to change our breakfast and evening food to “grab and go”, cutting even more jobs. We’re lucky we still have a hotel, but who knows for how long. Very scary times.
I’m actually glad I’m at the helm of the ship. I can stay busy, (and hopefully safe), and feel like I’m helping people. I don’t do “sitting at home” very well.
Stay safe! Wash your hands often! And don’t touch your face. :)

Abby said...

SR300, I know! Hospitality, travel, entertainment... those industries are really hurting, and there are definitely more ripple effects. All restaurants and bars are closed here, but most restaurants offer takeout. The ski resorts are closed with lots of great snow - whoda thought?!
I sure hope your ship is sailing soon. Yeah, no face touching!

Chatty Crone said...

Why don;t they use the questionnaire any more I wonder?
Seems like such a sad time fort the nation - I feel bad, but trying to pick myself up.
I used to do the glue thing too.
sandie

Hot guys said...

Hello there, Abby. I'm brand new to your blog, and I used to do the same as you - glue my fingers. Crazy kids! xD

I really hope the whole virus thing blows over soon, we need that. Everyone's stuck in their homes worldwide and, Spring is here. So, we need a change. Soon. Wish you the best, girl! ^.^

Madamdreamweaver said...

I'm glad a lot of people are still working. I see stores in my community and construction and landscape work and roofers all still working. Hubby and I are mostly retired and I do design work online from home, but his ministry is meeting individual with young military men and finding a place to meet with all the fastfood places closing inside service is a challenge.

Abby said...

Sandie, I think they stopped the questionnaires because it must have been creating a huge pile of paper - we had to print them out and sign them every day. Now, everyone hopefully knows to tell the boss of the need to self quarantine

Hot, in the meantime, we wait. I think the longer it goes, the stranger it will feel to be closer than 6 feet to another person at some point.

MadamDW, I had a plumber come to the house earlier this week. They're out there working! There are definitely far reaching ripple effects, though. But yep, we take all these restaurants as meeting places for granted.

Patty said...

As I work in the salon industry, all salons in New York were ordered to close on March 21st but the shop I work at is a combination salon and wellness center. I also assist our Holistic Practitioner with his many patients and we carry an extensive line of alternative medicines so, we're in a rough spot with this mandate. We are also one of very few facilities licensed for cancer patients and their needs but understand that none should run the risk of being exposed to anything.

Hopefully, everyone will do what's absolutely necessary to stop all forward movement of this pandemic but my fear is that too many just aren't taking it seriously enough.

Stay well!

KatBouska said...

Isn't it surreal to see places that were buzzing with people just a week ago are now mostly empty? So strange! I'm glad your income has not been affected, I worry about people. It does feel that you either lose your job and OR you keep working in your "essential" job, but at great risk. I hope you stay healthy!!