Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2020

so... what're you wearing?

I've been away from the blog for a few days.  Turns out being unemployed and homeless can keep a girl busy.  BUT, it's all good.

We saw Knives Out last weekend and were NOT disappointed.  All that "Kentucky Fried Chicken, Foghorn Leghorn BS" *snort*.  You gotta see it if you haven't.  Very fun and creative.  I just read an article about Chris Evans' sweater in the movie.  He wears a thick, cabled, off-white sweater that's a bit ragged in places.  The article gets into all the things the sweater "says" about Chris Evans' character as well as some of the clothing of the other characters.  The movie plot is a murder mystery, so it's all about clues, and apparently there's been much discussion about the sweater.



Do your clothes tell the world who you are?  Do mine?

I was thinking about this more along the lines of the house we currently have for sale.  I mentioned the realtor's virtual photos made the house nearly unrecognizable to those of us who recently lived there.  I also think the house has attributes that aren't even mentioned, like the new sturdy windows we installed a year ago, the capable and smooth running furnace, the lovely whole-house humidifier.

I was reminded that, in general, Magnum and I are more about function than aesthetics.  Even in previous homes we've had, while they may not have been the most "house beautiful", the mechanicals have been robust.

Function before form.

Maybe I'm thinking about these things because it's a new year, and the whole "new year, new you" vibe is going on.  Plus, we just moved to a new town to further bring on the makeover.

Looking at my current clothing choices, I'm wearing some comfy jeggings and a stretchy pullover.  They're comfortable and functional, but not very flashy. I guess the same can be said for me.

Boring?  Maybe.  I think of it more along the lines of "blends in easily".  Makes it unlikely to be chosen from a line-up.  Just in case.

What are you wearing?



8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

'Unlikely to be chosen from a line up' cracked me up and I about choked on my parmesan crisp! I really want to see this movie. so few movies I want to see anymore but this is one of them. I've seen memes on this sweater!

People seem to put more emphasis on aesthetics than function and when buying a house which is ass-backward. Need good bones, roof, furnace, windows etc. The other stuff can be changed with paint and decor. I am good with paint and decor. The other stuff I don't want to deal with.neighbor was selling and a young woman and her realtor came outside to talk. Izzy and I were on the porch and the young buyer said, "it's a great house but I'd pay 30K more if it were painted differently and the cabinets were a different color. Okay for that extra 30K you wish to spend on foolishness you can get it painted before you move in for far less. How stupid.

I just spent 5 days in California where everyone has a big fake ass, hair and boobs, and all dress inappropriately with boobs falling out of clothing or a skirt so short that if this one gal had pubic hair we'd have seen it. I am wearing an old navy flannel shirt and a pair of fleece leggings. I will not win a beauty prize and I would be kick out of CA most definitely. I would only stand out in a line up in California and I don't wish to go back anytime soon. It's so not me and I love fashion!

Chatty Crone said...

Haha I am like you. Jeans and a shirt - very functional for my needs. House - everything works but maybe not as up to date as it could be.

Abby said...

Peggy, that's so true about a large portion of home shoppers. Our realtor mentions how a couple thousand worth of aesthetic work can increase a sales price many times over. $30k more from some fresh paint??
Yeah, I would also stand out in a California line-up from your description!

Sandie, I have a feeling our closets are very similar.

Linda Hensley said...

Good luck with selling your house. I can't understand people who can't see past the color of a wall. Maybe I should go back to house painting? I'm wearing super comfy cotton clothes that are smeared with paint and polka dot slippers. It's my usual look, but I really hope nobody catches me like this!

Abby said...

Linda, maybe I'll get into house flipping. Wanna join? We've got the right wardrobe :)

Anita said...

Can't seem to get it going this morning beyond talking to my friends inside of my laptop. Sooo I'm un-customarily in my fleece PJ bottoms and boxy T-shirt, covered by a dingy comfy white robe. Whose idea was it to buy me a white robe? :) Oh, and it's 12:15 p.m. However, I will go for a walk shortly in my unmatched, out of date exercise clothes.
Clothes only concern me when I "have" to look the part. In those cases, my taste is fairly good, but I'm definitely not a flashy dresser.
Best wishes with the sale of the house.
Happy New Year!

LL Cool Joe said...

In the house hoodie and joggers, outside I'm tacky, flashy and easy to chose from a line-up. :D

Anita said...

I'm back to say that I saw Knives Out and liked it!
My "movie night" friend suggested it to a group of us .