Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2020

show and tell

What day is it?  Thursday, you say?   Anybody else lose track of what day it is during the holidays?
Looks like we made it into the start of another year.  2020, let the vision puns begin.

We don't make much of a big deal with Christmas gifts since the kids have gotten older.  I still like to buy them things, but their interests get more specific and expensive with age.  So we prefer to give experiences - trips or something to "do" rather than "have".  This year was very low key since we just moved and didn't want to leave the animals to fend for themselves just yet.

I remember when I was in elementary school and teachers would have a show-and-tell after winter break for kids to bring in stuff they got.  That practice probably ended years ago, since not everyone celebrates Christmas or receives a big haul.

With that in mind, I do have some newness that I bought for myself for show and tell.  So not necessarily holiday gifts, but they coulda been.

Exhibit 1

Exhibit 1 is this mini waist pack thing I picked up for a steal at Sierra Trading Post.  It's tiny and lightweight and stretches just enough to hold my phone for when I go running.

I don't like to carry much with me when I'm running, and usually don't bring my phone.  But since we just moved and the surroundings are still a bit unfamiliar, I feel better having the phone with me for now.  This belt/ waist pak has served me well already

Next up...






this marijuana lotion I found at Whole Foods yesterday.  I did go there for lotion, so this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment purchase.  As I was deciding which Andalou Naturals to pick, I noticed two of the choices had what looked like a marijuana plant on the labels.

Upon further examination, I found the lotion includes hemp stem cells and organic hemp seed oil.   I have no idea what role those would play in skin care, but it was the same price as the  non-weed lotions, so what the hell.

I have not used much of it yet.  I'll keep the blog posted as to whether it makes me happier/ more mellow or not.

And speaking of show-and-tell, our house back in Colorado Springs is officially on the market now.  It's weird to see it online, all dressed up.  In reality, it's sitting there empty.  Online, it's been virtually staged as if someone still lives there, but... who?

Pictures including tasteful furnishings, rugs, plants, and wall hangings make it nearly unrecognizable to those of us who know of its most recent appearance.  I'm all, "Where are the gaming consoles?  The amateur artworks? The guitar amps? The pet toys and random shoes and what not?"  It looks like a showcase from "Let's Make a Deal" or "The Price is Right".

So we're entertained by the transformation.  Kids have texted things like, "... so uncomfortable", "the weirdest...", and "holy sh*t..."  One most humorous thing is the much loved you-crank-it pencil sharpener that Magnum hard mounted to a corner of the kitchen counter many years ago.  It's still there.  Here's one of the fancy-pants realtor pics


See it?  The pencil sharpener?  It seems almost to speak to me..."take me with youuuuu!!!!"


Have you Secret Santa-ed yourself?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat this week for the prompt:
4. Did you buy yourself any gifts this holiday season? Share what you selected for yourself.



11 comments:

Brian said...

Happy New Year! Good to see you are adjusting well to the new home.

Far as self gifts this year - I scored a new multi/combo ladder to finally replace my rickety old wooden extension ladder I got from my dad 40 years ago (!?!?!) Got a great deal at harbor Freight. The spousal unit got a booster step to assist her 5'0" self in climbing into the camper. We have a typical 3-step camper ladder. Depending on the site, the first step can be 12"+ off the ground. I don't see a problem with it, but the vertically challenged spousal unit doesn't enjoy the challenge. And that first trip out of the camper in the morning CAN be a bit more fun than intended.

Chatty Crone said...

Happy New Year and glad you bought yourself something. We don't make to big a deal about gifts. A big deal about Christmas. sandie

Abby said...

Brian, wow, you're really steppin' it up for the new year! Happy camping!
(sorry, don't know where the dad jokes are coming from...)

Sandie, way to do it up right :)

Tee said...

I have been away from the blog world for too long. You MOVED! That's exciting ... I hope. I'll have to go catch up on your past posts to find out for sure!

I bought one of those mini waist pack things recently too. No running for me, but I do still enjoy getting out for a good hike with a friend and I like to have somewhere to put car keys and my phone. Your post made me realize that I haven't used it since I bought it, and I kinda forgot about it. It's like getting a Christmas gift all over again!

Abby said...

Tee, hi stranger! Yes, the move is a good thing :)
I have a couple of larger waist packs for hiking, but they're too bulky for running IMHO. Go use that gift!

Brian said...

Yer killin' me Abby!

John Holton said...

I love those old pencil sharpeners!

Paula Kiger said...

Our house was virtually staged also! SOOOO weird and goodness actually a beautiful place where I'd like to live LOL. Good luck with the sale.

Patty said...

I have one of those old pencil sharpeners and thank you for reminding me!

The electric one at work gave up the farm this week and I was just Amazon-ing a replacement but stopped at your blog along the way... now I'm heading to the closet to resurrect the relic.

Realized as well that I haven't written much lately on my site so I'll thank you twice...once for the pencil sharpener and once for reminding me to "get the lead out" and write something!

Happy New Year, Abby!

Abby said...

John, I actually do kinda miss that old sharpener :(

Paula, thanks, and isn't it weird to see your own house with other stuff in it? Other nice stuff? Meego sent some pics to a couple of friends who've been to our house. They wondered what house it was.

Patty, I prefer the old crank sharpeners to electric sharpeners myself. Glad your old faithful is getting the call!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Realtors bring in "props" to make a house look good to a buyer: a few furnishings and the like, so they get a feel of what it might look like with "their furnishings" inside. Completely empty homes look melancholy. The pencil sharpener is hilarious, though.