Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2019

well, shoot

We were piling yet more stuff onto our porch last night for a donation pickup scheduled for today.  I think Magnum's finally getting it.

"It does feel pretty cleansing to unload this stuff", he said at one point.

"I don't feel cleansed until the truck drives away", was my reply.  But yeah, I highly recommend it.

I have shed plenty of things in the last year or so, but held onto a few things because I was lazy thinking the kids might want to keep them.  Well, those guys have had plenty of opportunities, and that stuff was still here, so it's for the truck now.

One thing, though, we're not sure what to do with.

When Wolfgang was a senior in college, he and his team completed a final mechanical engineering project.  It was primarily a device to aid in training for competitive shooting.  We live in Colorado Springs which is home to the Olympic Training Center, so that's how it all came about.


It was a good project, they got an A and graduated

So yeah, the team members got their degrees.  We ended up with the gun.  And it's STILL HERE.

It's a nice air rifle in a nice carrying case.  I remember Wolfgang trying to get it back to "the guy" that summer after graduation, and "the guy" not really being too concerned.  Well that was over two years ago.  Who even knows where "the guy" is??

What to do with it?  It's not really ours, I can't sell it, although it's rather pricey.  We don't want it, although it's rather pretty.

In a lame effort last  night, I sent an email to usashooting.org saying something to the effect of,

"Uhm... so we have this competitive air rifle?  Want it?"

I'm not expecting much of a response.

Other than that, things are going well with the unloading and organizing.  It IS a cleansing activity I highly recommend for not just springtime!

I was pondering High School yearbooks as I packed them up.  I have four of mine, Magnum has his, there were a few here for each of our kids.  I honestly can't remember the last time I cracked open any of mine, and don't necessarily feel I will need/want to in the future.

Keep 'em?

Shoot 'em?

Do you still have yearbooks from High School?  Last time you opened one?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
1. Share an Autumn inspired recipe, craft or activity




10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This is such a big undertaking and give you big kudo's!
As for my yearbooks. I sure do. I looked at them last October when I visited my Ex-Mother In Law. Her son (my ex) died and she asked about some school things. We were high school sweethearts. So we looked at the yearbook and had some good laughs. The clothes the hair and the like. It was the 70's you know. We looked just like the kids on That 70's show. :-) But I don't know why I hold on to them. Rick has his as well. We really need you here to help us purged I think

Chatty Crone said...

I am not a gun lover - but my hubs has two himself.
I keep my yearbooks - just can't seem to have the courage to throw them away - lol.

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

I have kept all of my yearbooks, my sons', and recently acquired my Aunt's. I plan on keeping them all, but honestly? I haven't looked at them in ages. I am also in the process of getting most of my late aunt's things ready for donation - but her stuff is at her house, so it doesn't overwhelm me at my own home.

The gun is pretty neat; I hope you find a good home for it!

Kim

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm sure if I get rid of the yearbooks, I'd have some reason to look at one! I can picture you in that 70's glory :)

Sandie, we (the males anyway) have a few guns, including an air gun or two, but this Olympic gun is really purdy.
Yearbooks - don't need 'em, can't get rid of 'em. *sigh*

Kim, good for you for sorting your late aunt's things.
I think we've located the gun's rightful home!

LL Cool Joe said...

Owning a gun would freak me out. Actually I wouldn't be allowed to here in the UK anyway.

Getting rid of stuff is very satisfying, but I find I replace it with new stuff.

Lorraine said...

I have my high school yearbooks and I always seem to have a reason to look at them. My sister back home will run into an old classmate of mine or someone will post on my high school's Facebook alumni page and I will go and look them up if I can't remember who they are. Good for you for doing the big purge. It feels great, doesn't it? Eventually you will re-evaluate what's left and in a year or two you will purge again. It's an ongoing process. I just got rid of all my skinny clothes. I gave up the notion that they will ever fit me again and if I do happen to lose that much weight, well, then I deserve new clothes. lol.

Abby said...

Joey, guns and freak outs are never a good combination :).

Clamco, that's what I'm thinking - as soon as I purge the yearbooks, I'd have a reason to open one :P. And yes, I can already tell that I'll need another purge in the not-so-distant future.

Madamdreamweaver said...

I'm pretty good at sorting what I want to give away into a box and putting it in the garage for "taking to Goodwill," though most of it has become a long term resident in the garage waiting for me to get "round to-it."

Lori said...

I've been on a purging kick too. What I hate is when I get rid of something and then have second thoughts and wish I'd have kept it. What I love is when I can give something directly to someone who needs or wants it. Makes me feel like I've helped someone. I've wondered whether I should keep my old yearbooks too. They take up so much room, between mine and Fred's. Thus far, I haven't been able to let them go. I don't remember the last time I cracked one open, but keep meaning to look up a friend of mine who I recently discovered graduated a year behind me at my high school. So I guess once in a while they come in handy.

KatBouska said...

I've been dumping stuff off at Goodwill lately and it feels SO good to let it go! I have the same problem with my yearbooks though! I suppose I'll probably end up recycling them?? I don't know, that feels kind of wasteful!