Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Abby's fish delivery

I mentioned a while back about re-homing Meego's fire-bellied toads.  That was actually a pretty easy task.  I was a bit surprised at the number of legit people clamoring to take in those little cuties.  But... what about my fish?

I got a bargain deal on an aquarium and all the fixings on last year's Black Friday.  Remember?


Here we are, nearly a year later, and we're moving.  What to do with my fish?  I only had three from the original 5 or so I stocked.  One Guppy, one Platy, and one little Plecostomus.  The Guppy and Platy aren't much to write home about.  Inexpensive, easy to care for, yeah.  They were just to have something moving around in the aquarium.  The little Clown Plecostomus was the most valuable of the three, but not a big deal.

Still, I didn't like the idea of just smothering them.  I was hoping they would peacefully and conveniently "go to the light" any day, but they didn't seem to heeding my subliminal prompting.  So I put the word out online that they were looking for a home - someone with an established freshwater tank.  They even posed for pics


I got one interested email.  He asked me about them, I answered.  Two days later, he asked something else, I answered.  Two days after that, he asked if I could bring them to him.

I scooped them up and headed to the address provided, hoping the likelihood was slim that "Ed" was really a twisted murderer that would add my name to some future True Crime story. 

Thankfully, that turned out to be true.  Ed was a nice humble guy with a B-E-A-Utiful fish tank.  It had to be at least a pristine 100 gallons. 

I'd planned to just hand the fish over to Ed from his porch, but his house was rather smallish, and the fish tank was right in the front room, so yeah, I took a couple steps inside.  In fact, I would've liked to gawk at his tank a little longer, but I had a tutee appointment approaching.

Ed took my small relish jar/ fish transport and said,

"They're kinda little!"

and added,

"They might get eaten!"

I looked again at Ed's beautiful tank and noticed the great size of the beautiful fish meandering about, and I said,

"Yep!"

Now, I did include the size of the fish in my re-homing ad, but maybe Ed hadn't paid attention.  Or maybe he had and he was really looking for fish food.

I think the little Pleco will be fine as they like to find little caves to spend most of their time in, and Ed's aquascape provided ample hiding places.  The Guppy and Platy however...

If they did, in fact, become fish lunch at Ed's, I'm okay with that.  Circle of life and all.  They didn't go to waste, and I think they were nearing the end of their lives anyway.  

And I'm still thinking about how lovely Ed's tank was.  I'm inspired for when I'm able to set up another aquarium.  It was truly stunning for those who are into such things.  I might even say it's...

to die for.



10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Some times you gotta do what you gotta do!

Abby said...

Sandie, yes I suppose. I figure either way, those fish are in some sort of fish heaven.

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

When I moved from Mississippi to Alabama many years ago, I put my beta in a plastic cup with his aquarium water and brought him with me - it wasn't much trouble. But I imagine trying to move several would have been a headache that would cause me to re-home as well.

Kim

Lorraine said...

Glad you found a home for your fish and that Ed was an okay guy. We tried a fish tank many years ago, but it was a fail.

Herb said...

Good to hear that Ed was a nice guy. I didn't want to come back to blog hopping only to discover you were murdered.

ShadowRun300 said...

We’ve moved a couple of times since the kids have moved out, throwing/giving stuff away each time, and yet we STILL have a ton of stuff. The kids’ stuff is the hardest to go through, because you DO want to read the book reports from fourth grade.
Moving is a lot of work, but it’s so exciting! I can’t wait to hear more. :)

Anonymous said...

"...to die for." -- Good One!

Morgan Cartwright said...

I'm glad your fish found a good home, whatever their fate may be! Maybe the other two found a hiding place too!

Anita said...

You're always doing something that makes a good story!

Lori said...

That guy sounded fishy (see what I did there?), so I'm glad you are safe! I admire your pragmatism (is that a word?) about the circle of life. As for aquariums, I love watching them, but couldn't handle the work of cleaning and maintaining them.