Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2019

from Ring to Ripe

Happy Halloween!  And Happy last day of Inktober!  I managed to survive the challenge of doing a drawing every day for the month of October.  Third attempt, fist success.    Here are prompts/days 1 and 31.  Progress?  Anything?


I feel a bit like those worn out and ripe shoes for today.  Here are the remaining entries since my last Inktober update. I'm sure no one's been able to sleep while waiting for them:


So, yes, it was challenging but fun.  I think I got better at some things and faster as the month progressed, and it was also fun to see other submissions and know I wasn't the only weirdo.  

Now, on to other things.  We've had big snow and freeeeeezing this week.  School kids got two snowdays, and it's not even November.  Foreboding?  Even the local university cancelled classes, which spilled a bit into  my tutee schedule.

I'm not complaining.  I have a to-do list to check off.  Magnum and I are getting more serious about downsizing from our empty nest and selling the thing, and I'm looking forward to a bit of a fresh start.  I've also put reading blogs a bit on the back burner because of Inktober.  Did anyone miss me / notice at all?

And for the first season, I'm considering getting a flu shot.  Magnum says he's getting one as his workplace is administering them next week.  He's not gotten a shot in recent years, but he did have what was probably last year's flu, so it's fresh in his mind.  

I think I had the flu two winters ago and can't remember a time before that, but yes, it did suck the life out of me for nearly a week.  Then again, I've heard from some that the shot made them feel like crap.  

Anyone have any advice or experience to share for this flu shot virgin?  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
7. Write about something you’re looking forward to.


13 comments:

Annsterw said...

I always get a flu shot! I just heard a report on the news that the flu shot can not give you the flu since it is a dead virus but that you feel so run down after because your body is so busy working to create the defenses to the virus.

Abby said...

Annster, thanks! I think I'm gonna do it this year.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I've always had good luck with the flu shot and never had a reaction and don't get the flu so that is a good thing.
Snow already - God that sounds awful.

I love your "ink" You are so darn good Abby. Love them all but I must say I am partial to the sneakers. I don't know why I'd figure the dog would be next, the detail of the dogs on both are great. They're all great. Talented wench! :-)

Anita said...

Success with Inktober - Yayyy!
Thanks for the flu shot reminder. I got my first one in life just last year. Guess I'll keep it up.
I think I'm now Ok to downsize, but probably not anyone else in the fam.

Abby said...

Peggy, you convinced me. I got me a flu shot this afternoon, and I'm still alive. And thanks for the ink encouragement. Those little french bulldogs are fun subjects :)

Anita, when all the kids were still living at home, the house often felt too small. Now, it seems cavernous!

Madamdreamweaver said...

I'm not around people very much (like a job outside the home) or children who are virus buses or medical facilities and am around more young military people socially and they're a healthy bunch, so I've elected not to get a flu shots. I rarely even get a cold.
The thing about flu shots to keep in mind is they only carry two types of flu strains out of dozens that whoever has decided are the"most likely" candidates of the season. Last year they were wrong about one of their choices. A complete miss. They weakly say, "oh, it will help anyway," but believe that's butt-covering.

Abby said...

Madamdreamwever, yep, I read about last year's flu vaccine being largely ineffective. No guarantees. Who knows, maybe it's all placebo.

May said...

I never get the flu shot. My friend always gets the flu shot and harrasses me for not. We had plans last Friday. She called to cancel as she was fighting a case of the flu. Now, I recognize this sample may not be large enough to be scientifically significant, but it did pretty much confirm my idea of taking my chances. I will rethink that if I enter a stage of life when I am regularly around small children or the elderly.

Abby said...

May, bummer for your friend. Seems early in the season. I've always taken my chances on the flu too. I figure I'm "medium" risk? Tuting high schoolers and college students? At the public library? We'll see what happens.

Lori said...

I love your drawings! Injured is my favorite. Cute little guy. I've never gotten a flu shot before this year. I have a lung thing going on now so the doc said I'm more prone to complications from the flu. So I got one (a flu shot). Was real nervous about it, but I had zero side effects. So I guess I'm a flu shot person now.

Abby said...

Lori, long time no see! I had zero side effects from my flu shot too. I barely even felt the shot itself, wondering if the nurse even did it. The shingles shot, though, packs a wallop. Be forewarned if you go for that one!

Patty said...


The flu shot debate. Have never had one and, in fact, our physician advised that, since I've had a bout, or two, of flu over the years, don't bother. It's kind of a "catch 22" for many people given the adverse reactions a lot of folks have after getting the shot and for whatever reasons.

By the way, Abby...your drawings are excellent, liked them all!

Abby said...

Patty, thanks. And I've always taken my chances with flu season, but got talked into it this year.