Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2019

are unlikable characters more realistic?

I was at the local public library last week having just finished meeting with a tutee.  I didn't feel a strong need to leave right then, so thought I'd peruse the "new books" shelf.  This is usually how my casual reading happens as I rarely plan what I'm going to read ahead of time.



I ended up grabbing [THIS BOOK], maybe because the cover made it look light and easy and/or because it was just under 300 pages.  Okay, call me a slacker, but some of the recent books I was not getting into involved heavy, sappy writing and/or were rather long winded and weren't doing much for me.  I was ready to coast for a while.




I ended up getting very engrossed by this story, surprisingly enough.  It's about a fresh-out-of-college woman who gets a job as an apprentice teacher at an all male boarding school.  Oh, here it comes, yep...

So yeah, she has a fling with one of the students.  That seemed tawdry and cliche', but I opened it up to a random page, and the writing seemed okay, so I decided to give it a go.

I really enjoyed the book, although "enjoyed" seems like the wrong word because it was rather dark and disturbing and... well... messed UP!  Our main character, Imogene, is in fact, one hot mess.

I think what pulled me in is that the story is written in first person from Imogene's perspective.  We learn early enough that she has issues... with anxiety and self-worth and relationships in general.  So the book feels more like her private journal than a realistic telling of events.  It's more a psychological study of a hot mess.

So I kept on reading, wondering where the author was going to go with this and knowing it couldn't end well.  While I disliked Imogene and was disturbed by her behaviors, I felt sorry for her and wanted her to get help rather than punishment.  I admit that's not my typical reaction when I hear similar stories.  *She should know better, the predatory pedophile!*  *Lock up your sons!*

I even vacillated between liking and disliking Kip, Imogene's boy toy.  He'd go from being a cocky, privileged teen, looking to get some action from a naive teaching assistant, to a stressed kid overwhelmed by the cultural pressures and expectations put upon him.

So I was glad with this random pick off the library shelf.  The method seems to work better for me than making a list.  Now, as far as what I didn't like, I think the cover art and the book's description make it seem like it's a light, maybe even comical, romp.  It is not, but that actually turned out to be a good thing.  Four stars.

Do you have a list of books you plan to read?  
Whatcha readin'?

---------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat... sort of... for the prompt:
2. List the top 6 books on your list to read next.



9 comments:

Larz said...

That sounds... not my style! Haha, I am always making my way through 2-4 books at a time, usually mostly audiobooks that I can listen to when driving for work. These are nearly always sci/fi. I am reading a physical book about running and also an ebook authored by a friend of mine, but I've been having trouble setting aside time to actually read.

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

Thanks for the review! Right now, I'm reading The Winter Sisters - it promised "Folklore, medicine, witches, and superstition in the Georgia mountains." I've not been disappointed, but I'm a very slow reader and haven't had much time to carve out to go ahead and finish it for a review. I tend to read more during the fall/winter months because I'm outdoors less.

Just here via Writer's Workshop!

Kim

Chatty Crone said...

I HAVE TO AGREE - THE COVER IS CATCHY!

LL Cool Joe said...

As someone who never reads fiction I don't think even the cover would have made me pick the book up, but I'm glad it was a good read.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I certainly get the cover because that would have made me pick it up and read about the book. I think I'd be like you. The like/dislike of the characters.
I was that way with Gone Girl. The characters were so unlikeable to me that at times I was screaming inside at them to just walk away. Hmm...may need to add this to my list.

Tee said...

I almost always judge an actual book by its cover. If the cover art is dark, or feels violent, I'll pass. I've almost never plan ahead on what I'll be reading. Random picks for me.

Patty said...

I will readily admit to judging most books by their covers and have experienced a few disappointments along the way.

Sometimes, just a title will grab me, other times, a casual flipping through pages piques my interest.

As far as likeable vs. unlikable characters, sometimes, when the personalities within the book hit close to my home and work realities, I tend to stay more involved in the book.

Anita said...

I agree with you on the cover. It doesn't indicate depth, so glad it has a bit of substance and worked out for you.
I saw a woman on The Tamron Hall show, who after getting divorced, decided she'd have five "relationships" for a year. Some of the audience mouths dropped wide open. I assume they felt that wasn't ladylike. Her memoir was in the library and I picked it up. I'm only at the part where she's had 1 bit of action, but also, some of the explaining of what happened to her marriage. I'm sold on reading the rest. Oh, it's titled, The Naked Truth by Leslie Morgan. She's witty, so it's pretty good.
Also reading here and there, WordSlut... no relation to the previous mention. :) Got Michelle Obama on audio from the library and something else that I can't remember the name of.

Tiffany said...

When I was flying many moons ago, one of my fellow flight attendants would leave me a private stash of books in the galleys of the planes (where we both worked best because would could read ALL FLIGHT!!) I ended up trying so many new books that were way out of my "norm" because of her. Some were terribly covered and I would never have picked them up on my own, but I'm so glad she left them for me as I cherish a good bit of them still and have passed others on to my own daughter.