Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

of measles and exfoliation

My doctor is strangely chatty.  I get the impression that it's not just me with whom she chats about all kinds of things.  It's just her way.

I had my annual check-up yesterday.  It's not that I'm necessarily disciplined in keeping up with these things, but Magnum's employer/ insurance provider gives us money to have annual check-ups.  So there I was in the stirrups with the doctor talking about her daughter's struggles in math class; the messiness of her, the doctor's, desk; shady business practices of the daughter's tutoring providers; and even a few side stories about other patients - not inappropriate, but within tasteful limits.

I don't mind her chattiness, but in comparison with other doctor visits, I usually feel that they try to get us in and out as quickly as possible.  Maybe not for well checks?  Either way, I'm glad to have that done for another year, AND I got that measles booster.  Yay me.

Speaking of inappropriate things to say and do, last week, things were on edge at Meego's university.  We parents were included in an email the president sent out regarding a disturbing image that was shared on instagram of some students in "black face".

I read it and was all, "what the... blackface?  In Colorado?  This day and age??"  So the story unfolded, and although the student who posted the original image closed her instagram account, the image showed up in various sites.





I won't post it because I got tired of seeing it, but I did sketch a rendition for y'all.







The original image included the caption "Wakanda Forever" which is in reference to the movie Black Panther.  I saw the photo and thought, "I think those kids are wearing charcoal exfoliating masks."

The story goes - from another party who lives in the same dorm as these kids - that the four of them did the charcoal mask and decided, "Heh, let's take a picture of us with these masks on our faces".  It was the girl - depicted on the far left - who chose to cross her arms.  She was the one who posted the pic on instagram and added the "Wakanda Forever" caption.

The guys all just thought, "Heh, we're taking a picture with these masks on our faces".  The kid on the right has his arms crossed too, but claims he didn't know the reference, just did it because the girl did it.

I can believe that. I have not seen Black Panther and didn't know of the reference before this story.

Understandably, there was much backlash.  As far as I know, though, most have concluded that
girl = racist
boys = wrong place, wrong time.

I believe they are all freshman.  I don't know what's up with the girl, or how things will end up for her at the school, but I feel a bit sorry for the guys if their side of the story is true.  What a way to start their college years. 

Goal for the day:  don't be stupid.


9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

But is it possible that 18 yrs can't be stupid? This shows me this has never been discussed in their home or the girl=racist as you stated. Either way, sad.
I'm going to be very dumb here Abby, but don't you get measles boosters as a kid? I thought I had that as a child.
Maybe not. Is this something we have to do later in life too?
I highly recommend the shingles vaccine when you are older. Trust me you don't want shingles!!!

Chatty Crone said...

I think you hit the nail on the head - these days you have to be smart - don't do stupid things - or it might follow you forever or make some unfortunate consequences.

Abby said...

Peggy, my doctor - in between chatting about non-medical stuff - said it's a good idea for us baby boomers to get the measles booster as the vaccine from the 60's and 70's has been shown to not be very effective. Especially with anti-vaxers and measles outbreaks, good idea to get a booster. She also recommended the new shingles/chickenpox vaccine (I've never had chickenpox), but I need to check my insurance coverage because that one's about $500 😱

Chatty, and the prevalence of social media means that nearly everyone will see you being stupid! Glad it wasn't around when I was 18...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, thanks for the info. I will share with my doc. I did have the shingles vaccine and it was covered 100% because I am old. The only good thing about being old. The newest shingle vaccine is far more expensive as well as stronger and that is probably what you were quoted at $500. They told Rick to wait until he was 65 because on medicare it's free. Rick had shingles. My mom had shingles. I hear it is the worst nerve pain one can imagine. I do not want it.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I haven't seen Black Panther either. I only know that reference because one of my teammates is obsessed with that movie and did the arm crossing pose during our last games intro.
I have also never had the chicken pox. They have tried to give me the vaccine twice, but I never gained immunity from the vaccine. They said I was naturally immune. My sister is the same way. Who knows?!
I agree with you on the kids, the guys probably thought they were taking a silly picture with a face mask on. I've done it a few times. The girl should have been more tasteful in what she did in the picture. It's going to haunt her for a long time.
I like your goal of the day. I try to do the same. :)

Abby said...

Morgan, natural immunity to chickenpox? My brothers and I never got them as kids despite our parents' best efforts. But both my brothers got chickenpox as adults, and it was awful. The older the chickenpoxian, the worse the symptoms. I got the vaccine when it first came out, and the first try didn't take. I tried again, and supposedly that worked. fingers crossed for you and me!

LL Cool Joe said...

I haven't seen Black Panther but really those kids should have known better. I bet they are all going to regret this. Very stupid indeed.

Abby said...

Joey, yes, I think it was a dumb thing - on the part of the guys, at least. I don't know what the girl was thinking posting it with that caption.

Linda Hensley said...

I think the goal of "Don't be stupid" is good for every day. I'm glad you won't be getting measles.