Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2019

(day)dream

I have a memory from when I was about 8 years old.  I was sitting on the back stoop of our house on a sunny afternoon.  The back of our house faced to the west, so the sun was bathing me in warmth and light.  It felt good to just sit there.

My family normally came and went through our back door, not the front.  As I was sitting there in the sun, my dad came around the corner after walking home from work.  He seemed a bit surprised to see me sitting there.

"Oh, hello sweetheart", he said, "what are you doing there?"

"Nothing", was my fabulous response.

He just smiled and said, "Well, that's just great."  And no, he wasn't being sarcastic.

I hadn't really thought about it until he said that, but it was pretty great to be sitting there with the sun bathing me in warmth while I did nothing.  I was probably daydreaming.  This was in the days long before 8-year-olds or anyone else had constant stimulation from a cell phone.




Yesterday, I decided to dust off my pens.  Inktober is nigh!  The prompt this week for Illustration Friday is "dream", and I thought of sitting on my back stoop daydreaming the afternoon away.  I drew this guy sitting and doing nothing.




I recommend it - sitting and doing nothing.  Just not, y'know, forever.  Obviously.












And speaking of contemplation.  On a very sad note, my first big sis died this week.  Sandy was my oldest brother's first wife and a big part of my formative years. 

She'll be deeply missed.  




5 comments:

Lorraine said...

So sorry for your loss. My sympathies go out to you and your family.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm sorry for all your losses of late Abby. These were big ones.
I would love to be able to sit and no doing like one can as a kid.
Your art is very good, is there anything you can't do? I feel inferior.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Your drawings are so pretty. We need more time to just do nothing and sit in the sun.

Chatty Crone said...

You are a good artist.
I am so sorry about your SIL.
sandie

LL Cool Joe said...

Sorry for your loss. :(

Sometimes it's good to sit and do nothing for a while. Sometimes I do it too often.