Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

fashion

A couple of days ago, the guy on the radio was asking trivia questions.  One was,

"What is the most valuable apparel brand in the world?"

In the world?  Most valuable?

This week's prompt at Illustration Friday is "Fashion", so my fashion-challenged self pondered what to depict.

The answer to the trivia question was Nike.  I wasn't too surprised, but I also don't know a whole lot about fashion, so thought it would be some brand - maybe from Italy or France - I'd never heard of, and certainly never worn.





But yes, Nike of course.  They produce more than just athletic wear (that consumers actually purchase for participation in athletics).  Whole "style" themed pages on social media - one was a source for me for this drawing - are dedicated to Nike clothing.

I dug a bit on the internet and found a list of the top ten from 2017.  One site wanted me to pay money to see the list for 2018, so this is good enough for free...

SOURCE


Okay, I've actually heard of most of these brands and have owned products from two of them.  I'm not familiar with Zara, number 3 on the list.  I highly doubt I'm in their target market.

I will mention that, during my extensive *ahem* research on this topic, I've learned the difference between "handbag", "purse", and "satchel"... sort of.

How important is brand to you when selecting clothes and accessories?  



10 comments:

Annsterw said...

LOL Abby! Your comment about their target market made me chuckle! I am not either!! HA! In fact, the only company on that last that I own something from is #2 (H&M) and that is because they are the Kings of knock-offs!!! HA HA! Interesting post! Thanks!

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm surprised H&M are so high. Zara are pretty big here in the UK, they are kinda of mid range (cost wise). Do you have "Next" in the States? They are a bit like them. I would have thought Adidas would have been higher.

The amazing thing about Nike is that they never seem to go out of fashion.

Abby said...

Ann, congrats on making the list ;)!

Joey, I was also surprised that H&M was second and Adidas 5th with "only" $10 billion. I've never heard of "Next", but I'm not the best source to ask about it!

Chatty Crone said...

My grandson just went tonight to Dick's and spent $80 for Nike tennis shoes - Andy could start a store himself.

Abby said...

Chatty, only $80? Must've been on sale 😜

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh, that was funny. I am a person who loves fashion and a handbag..tee hee. However, this list is mostly very expensive clothing except or H & M, Nike and Adidas. To sell 13 billion for Louis Vuitton is far less in sales than 13 billion at Nike. I wish this was the list of most sales.
I still think it'd be Nike.
And $80 for a pair of Nike's is sadly now inexpensive so that was a good deal for the above grandson.

Abby said...

Peg, too bad Nike doesn't sell handbags? 😉 But yes, they just have SO much product and extensive distribution.

ShadowRun300 said...

Brand isn’t as important to me in fashion, but for some foods it is. Peanut butter for example - generic just doesn’t cut it.
Great pic! :)

Abby said...

SR300, I bought generic PB once for a camping trip. Never again.

Debabrata Neogi said...

I am crazy about brands and loved your post!