Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

cheaters and cyclones

"Any last minute tips??", he asked a bit nervously in his squeaky voice.

I gave him some, mostly involving resting and relaxing and feeling good about  how hard he'd worked.  He was still a bit nervous, but I told him I expected things to go well for him and that he had a bright future.

That little conversation was about a week ago with a student I'd been working with.  He took his SAT last Saturday and had worked hard to prepare for it.  I meant what I told him.

Most of y'all know that I'm a tutor.  A big portion of my biz is tutoring for college admission exams.  This whole cheating scandal that broke this week pisses me off and shocks me regarding the money and positions involved (test proctors changing answers?!?!!?), but I love that they got busted and all of the resulting fallout.  Magnum sent me this cartoon:


I won't rant about %#$* parents sending horrible messages, and in turn, creating %#$* offspring that likely wouldn't bat an eye at repeating the cheating sins of their parents.  Instead, it helps me to see my students in a new and better light.  I've mentioned before that they've all been good kids, and I'm grateful.  But I'm saying it again.  These kids and their parents are golden in my eyes now.

Okay, just had to get that off my chest.  Onward.

The Big Blizzard of 2019 is in the books, and today I'm digging out.  Schools are closed for another day, and roads are slowly opening up again.  

It was one of the biggest storms I think I've experienced.  I checked in with each of our kids, who were all safe in their respective homes.  Thousands of people were stranded on roads and/or dealing with power outages.  I'm glad to say we never lost power and all our trees and fences are still standing.  

I thought our fence wasn't gonna make it, but it's still standing, more or less.
That picnic table, though!  Oh wait, it's been that way for a while.
I really need to chuck it already...

I dug out the back yard and dog run, twice, for Penny, because dogs gotta do what dogs gotta do.  The drifts were higher than her whole body. She absolutely loved being outside in it.  Ah, the ignorance of puppies!  

Find the pooch?

I'll dig it out again in a minute.  I should mention that Magnum was out of town for a business trip, so he missed all the excitement... and all the digging.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat this week for the prompt:
6. Show us a picture of your most recent snow day whether it was a day ago or years ago.


5 comments:

John Holton said...

What gets me about the whole cheating thing is that they felt no one would ever catch them, or if caught they'd get a slap on the wrist.

Hope you get dug out soon.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

So you did all that shoveling eh? That happened to me once while Rick was out of town. Shortly after we got a snow blower. :-) Now we live where 10inches is the most snow in an average year.

I wrote a post for tomorrow and I put a shout out to tutors like you and mentioned you. Funny that is where my mind went to. Being a complete and utter dunce with math, I have had my share of tutors. My parents couldn't help me in algebra and higher so they found me a tutor. I still sucked but passed. Only grade I ever had under a B so while I tried, and cried, I still basically failed in my eyes. But I loved my patient tutor. :-)

Madamdreamweaver said...

I'm glad justice was done. What goes around does manage to come around.
Great snow pictures. I would've enjoyed seeing the puppy playing in it.

Chatty Crone said...

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard about Lori L. - I am just surprised. Her daughter was beautiful and she was a star's daughter - that is enough to get in college - more than most have.

Abby said...

John, what gets me about the cheating is that they didn't see anything wrong with it :(

Peg, I joked to a friend that I'd shoveled a "ton" of snow, but on thinking about it, it's quite possible! Thanks for the shout out, I know many struggle particularly with math. You get an A for effort!

BNick, watching Penny romp in the snow turned my frown upside down.

Chatty, as of this morning, I read that her daughters are still enrolled at USC, but they should probably start packing.