Pages

Friday, March 8, 2019

appreciation Friday in five acts

Operation Consolidation is going swimmingly.
Remember a while back I said I was going to consolidate our lives to the main floor of the house?  Well, that project is pretty much complete.  I'm also happy that I was able to donate or sell a good portion of items, and our kids also each laid claim to a few things.

That's not to say that our lower level is entirely empty - I still have my desk where I tutor and (usually) blog from, and the laundry remains - but that's mainly because it would be an unnecessary pain to move those things.   I mainly wanted to downsize our stuff in preparation of downsizing our house.  And on that note,

I appreciate my flexible side gig and tutees
It's not easy to reenter the workforce after taking several years off to be a mom.  I'm grateful that I can still be productive and contribute while doing something I (typically) enjoy.  My students are diverse and unique, but enjoyable to work with.  Even that strange one who sometimes summons me for nothing is quite personable.

And online tuting has helped to expand my workload from the comfort of home where I only need to appear presentable from shoulders up.

Spring is coming
I know I've stated here, truthfully, that I like winter.  I appreciate winter.  I like having four seasons.  I'm ready to switch to the next one now, thanks.

A match made in geekdom
Last weekend, Magnum and I watched this quirky movie, "The Lobster".  Have you seen it?  We found it strange yet fun and entertaining.  There are tranquilizer guns that have a role in the movie, and when they first appeared, Magnum mildly commented, "Huh.  That's my gun".

Now, this isn't the first time this has happened while watching a movie.  And in saying "my" gun, it's not that Magnum owns that particular gun.  It's that he designed that particular gun.

Magnum is a design engineer.  Years ago, he worked for an airgun company.  A couple of his designs are *the* airgun to have for their particular applications - tranquilizing for instance... or Hollywood movies involving tranquilizer guns.  So sometimes his designs show up in movies or such.

Years ago, I used to be an engineer, but I can't say that I've noticed any of "my" products in movies or in the Olympics, etc.  As I think about it, I'm only reminded that I recently had a successful tutee end up with his mugshot on the news...

So a shout out to Magnum whom I met in enginerd school.  I'd thought he was a bit strange, and he is, but now look.  His name on several patents, while also a Hollywood star.

On that note
He also does our taxes.  Thank God.



7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Good list of grateful items. I imagine your students are grateful for you!

Linda Hensley said...

I should work on my own gratitude list. Successfully consolidating my stuff wouldn't be on it. Congrats on your efforts, How cool that your readers can say we're blog buddies with the woman who is married to a Hollywood star!

Tanza Erlambang said...

I am glad to know that "spring is coming" in Colorado.
have a great day

Abby said...

Chatty, I hope so, now that you mention it.

Linda, I'm a bit delighted with the connection now to Colin Farrell ;)

Tanza, yes and soon I'll be complaining about bugs and heat.

ShadowRun300 said...

I wonder sometimes if I would appreciate spring and summer as much if I didn’t go through winter. And the truth is, I’m pretty sure I would.
Thank goodness for the time change today. Makes me feel like spring is just around the corner! Even if the temps don’t.
How cool that Magnum saw one of his guns! Never knew that about him. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You made Marie Kondo proud with your achievement of downsizing your "stuff" to one floor.
Wanna come help me? A third job perhaps? :-)

Abby said...

SR300, I do think winter helps me appreciate spring and summer more, and vice versa. Magnum's pointed out his guns before. Honestly, they all look alike to me, but he can spot his "babies" instantly.

Peg, I've still got some joyless non-sparkle around here!