Pages

Friday, January 4, 2019

Honey I'm still free Take a chance on me

I've been doing a bit of decluttering.  No, it's not a new year's resolution, it's just something I'm COMPELLED to do and do often within limitations - those limitations being that I live among other people's stuff that is not mine to chuck.



Many are familiar with Marie Kondo's BookI got it (checked out from the library of course) thinking that she wouldn't have much to tell me = card carrying clutterphobe.

But I really enjoyed the book, it gave me a different perspective.  The nonbelievers make fun of the whole "spark joy" thing, but I totally get it!

I looked at my "stuff" with fresh eyes and...

I will not, however, be watching Marie Kondo's new Netflix series.  I saw the trailer and nearly hyperventilated looking at the joyless piles of non-sparkle Marie was having to wade through.

But this is all not to say that I don't acquire stuff.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that we'd gotten  a Ring®️ doorbell.  So far, we really like it.  We have actually had a couple of questionable characters approach the porch, seemingly notice the Ring, and abruptly leave.  What's that about?



About the same time we got the doorbell, I learned that amazon has secure lockers in various locations, and shoppers can forgo the packages being delivered to an unsecure porch.  I thought, "Ooh, Ima try!".  I did and here is my...



Well, actually, my review is not very deep, because the process is very simple.  When selecting an address for delivery, there is an option to select an amazon locker.  I found one about a mile from my house at Whole  Foods, but there are many other locations - mostly at 7-11s.  I saved the Whole Foods lockers to my account so I can easily select it again.

As soon as my package was delivered, I got a notification that included an - I think - 6-digit code.  Magnum and I did a March-of-the-Penguins-esque walk to Whole Foods on New Years Eve afternoon when it was like Antarctica outside.  I felt we needed an adventure.

It was all very simple, we walked up to the bank of pumpkin-colored lockers, I punched in the code, and *sproing*, one of the compartments opened up revealing my package.  Done and done.

Except we had to trudge back home through Antarctica.  I think I might be able to keep all of my toes.

Bottom line:  yes, I would recommend amazon lockers to a friend or colleague.

Just try not to go crazy and --> clutter plus bankruptcy.

------------

Oh, and I'm linking up with Mama Kat this week for the prompt:

1. Take a line from a song you love and turn it into the title of your next blog post. Let the content follow.




10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Is the idea of the lockers - to keep the package safe from being set on your porch? Otherwise I like things delivered right to me.

This is so true to me. "I'm COMPELLED to declutter and do often within limitations - those limitations being that I live among other people's stuff that is not mine to chuck."

I would throw a lot of stuff away i know they won't use - but oh well - I can't!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have always been a declutter person. But this past year things have gone awry. I have two rooms to do this in - my office and my closet. This weekend is my closet. It will take 2 days sadly. My office may take a lot longer and I can procrastinate with the best of them. I just find without clutter things comes to you, with clutter the good can't get through. I know Abby, I sound crazy. Maybe I am :-)

Abby said...

Chatty, yes I think the primary reason for the lockers is for people who don't want packages delivered to their porch when they're not home. I see it as a nice alternative for people who live in apartments too. I work from home a lot, so it's not a big deal. But it's nice to have the option, and amazon gives customers 3 days to pick up their stuff.

Margaret, "with clutter the good can't get through" - doesn't sound crazy to me! But maybe we're both nuts.

Madamdreamweaver said...

I enjoyed this whole post. I'm sorry, I didn't recognize the song line, though, but I'm not good with remembering music lyics or music artists who sang them.
The locker is a great idea. Luckily, I live on a dead-end street and my porch can't even be seen from the road if someone wanted to look. But there is a hilarious youtube video made my an engineer who created a trick "package" for thieves to steal that sprayed them first with glitter, then activated "fart spray" to gas them and filmed the whole thing on camera and included a GPS so they could retrieve the package once thieves threw it out. It was going around on Facebook.

Tee said...

I think I need the decluttering book. I've been aware of it for some time but just haven't managed to read it yet. And having had boomerang kids for a while, plus having to sort through my parents' belongings after mom died, the level of clutter in my house has reached epic proportions. (Okay, we're not a "Hoarders" situation or anything, but it's more than I can stand.)

I haven't tried the Amazon locker thing yet, but have considered it as well. I appreciate your review and might give it a try one of these days soon!

Abby said...

BNick, I saw the video of the boobie trapped package. I've heard of people just putting boxes full of trash on their porches :D. The song is "take a chance on me" by ABBA. Oldie but goodie.

Tee, declutter away. It's life-changing magic :). I don't really "need" the lockers, but it's nice to have as an option, so thought I'd do a test run. I'll likely use them again.

ShadowRun300 said...

Each time we’ve moved in the last 4 years, we’ve downsized. We are in the middle of our third move, and currently living in a room in my new hotel. We’re both realizing we can live with less and less, and are looking into apartments that are only slightly larger than this suite. However, because we still own my hubby’s office in Illinois, we have yet to really get rid of anything. We store it all there. Long story short, I could use that book. :)

Abby said...

SR300, we have downsizing on our things-to-do. I might do a refresher read of the book.

Linda Hensley said...

I like my stuff and don't want to get rid of it, but I hide it in the basement or closets. (Mostly?) Never heard of a dog getting high like that. I'm glad he wasn't too harmed by the experience. Learning new things every day!

KatBouska said...

Oh I've seen those lockers and was wondering what they were all about! Good to know!! And I totally want the Ring security camera. SO handy!!