Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

dogs on pot and no hot gatorade

First blog post of 2019,  hooboy.  Happy New Year! Kinda feels like Tuesday.

Yesterday was FREEZing cold and just downright blustery, so for the most part, we were cave people.  I did take pupper Penny out for her first visit to the vet for a once-over and a nice-to-meetcha.  It went very well.

Poor Penny, though!  I put her in the car for her first outing since we picked her up from the shelter.  Her eyes and body language said it all:

"Is that it?  Are you taking me back to the shelter now?  I don't get to stay here?"

Omigosh, I melted.

She's been doing great - very smart and playful.  The cat is slowly warming up to her.  He actually played with her a teeny bit yesterday before deciding, "Okay, enough of this puppy business"

In other pet news, the dog of a friend of mine got out of the yard at work.  Friend is a physical therapist, and has therapy dogs and bunnies.  So, this dog got out, some friendly people found him nearby and brought him back to the office.  My friend was grateful for that, but soon noticed the pooch was having some neurological symptoms so rushed him to the vet.

He tested positive for THC - the main psychoactive component of marijuana!  They think he ate some high homeless person's poop while out on his little adventure.  Now, I know this dog.  He's very smart and does great work at the PT practice... but he's still a dog and does gross things like eat poop.

Friend (who doesn't have kids) says, "thought I would never have to worry about my kids doing drugs..."

Sheesh, never say never!  The dog shouldn't have any lasting effects - nothing some gas station burritos and a good nap shouldn't take care of.  Way to ring in the new year!

As for me, I did NOT do the Rescue Run this year.  The weather kept me away.  The current temperature is 5 degrees and -4 with the windchill.  But that's not the reason I didn't run.

We got an email yesterday from the race organizers.  Yes, the race was still on, but they cautioned that the course was very icy.  Now, this particular course is very hilly.   I don't mind running among ice.  I don't mind running up and down hills.  I don't mind running in the cold.

I do mind running up and  (especially) down steep hills that are covered in ice, so I noped out.  But I'm glad to have registered - I register anyway because it's a worthwhile charity.  Proceeds go to the county Search and Rescue.  It is typically a fun and challenging event for people like me that don't want to ring in the new year by getting plastered. But I don't regret not doing the 10k  this year.  I didn't want the team to have to rescue ME.

I wish you all a fulfilling and successful new year!







13 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

HAPPY 2019!

Gosh in a million years I would never guess what that pooch ate. I think I must live such a sheltered life. lol
I am glad your new little one is working out so good.

LL Cool Joe said...

"They think he ate some high homeless person's poop while out on his little adventure. " Now that's not a sentence I've ever read before. Haha.

Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy!! Dogs do get into trouble but I've never heard that one before!

Happy to hear Penny is settling well though, and the cat is warming up to her. Happy New Year!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Really? Eating it from poop? Somethin's fishy but at least the dog is going to be fine!
Abby that would have killed me when Penny got in the car and probably had sad puppy eyes. Oh my goodness.

Abby said...

Chatty, I'm not sure how they came up with "high homeless person's poop", but it's certainly a possibility!

Joey, I'm pretty sure I've never written that sentence before either.

Erin, just one more thing to worry about our pets getting into!

Margaret, the dog may have been found close to a homeless camp. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if some clowns intentionally fed him some edibles.

Annsterw said...

I am very glad is going to be okay! That is sad and awful no matter how he got it in his system but I tend to agree with Abby - humans probably had something to do with feeding it to him :-(

Abby said...

Ann, agreed. It could've been worse, and he's no longer high as a kite.

Larz said...

My last foster pup was a seizure watch due to eating her former owner's weed stash. She ate everything!

Abby said...

Larz, it makes me wonder about the number of puppy/weed stash potentials out there!

ShadowRun300 said...

Happy New Year!
That poor puppy! But who knows? He may have liked it, and could be scouting out homeless poop as we speak. But I certainly hope not!
I was wondering if you did your New Year’s run. I’ve fallen on ice before so you made the right decision.

Abby said...

SR300, hmmm, maybe he did like it? After a hard day at the office?

Tee said...

Your car ride with Penny reminds me of our first outings with our Lucy. We visited my in-laws (DOG LOVERS) early on. Lucy remained plastered to my legs the entire visit. I'm happy to report that many years later, she is more than happy to ride almost anywhere in the car.

Good call opting out of the race. Just doesn't make sense to risk injury in such conditions. I wonder how many actually showed up and completed the run.

Happy New Year!

Abby said...

Tee, ooch those sad puppy eyes! I'm not sure how many showed for the race. There was talk that they would just have everyone do the 5k rather than do the traditional 5k and 10k. Probably because it was so c-c-c-cold, but the 5k still has The Hill.