Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2018

throwin' it back

I vaguely remember much about freshman year of high school other than I thought I had arrived.  High School, omg!

We were in high school!  Learning, like, ALGEBRA and BIOLOGY and stuff!  School dances happened on Saturday NIGHTS instead of Friday afternoons!  The seniors seemed so big and grown up.  They had cars and some of the senior boys actually shaved!

How weird were we?

I can only speak for myself, but it's sometimes cringey to look back.  I have very fond memories of high school, but would I want to "go back"?  Oh, HECK no.

Mama Kat's prompts this week include "when I was younger" as well as "old class photos", so I guess I'm hitting upon both those themes.  I found my high school freshman and senior class photos.

Stupid Freshman
Maybe a little smarter
Senior
Despite it being so long ago, I remember lots about the freshman photo.  It was taken early in the year, possibly the very first week of school, when I was still so agog at being a high schooler.  My hair was growing out of a - little did I realize it at the time - bad perm.  But everybody seemed to have a bad perm back then, so no biggie.

I remember the shirt I was wearing too.  It was teal and a fave in my closet.  Betcha I was wearing a pair of white painter pants that day.  Because white painter pants = way cool.

By senior year much had changed.  For one, color photos became more mainstream for class pictures *ahem*, but maybe not the idea of having a background that doesn't perfectly match the skin tone?  The wonders of technology.

But I can honestly say I felt like a much different person on the inside when I was a senior compared to when I was a freshman.  I read somewhere that, even though high school only lasts 4 years, those years are laden with lasting memories that really shape who we are as adults.  The article claimed that the big shift in a short time is because of all the big changes we go through in those 4 years - emotional changes as well as physical changes.  We have experiences that take us out of adolescence and into adulthood, whether we like it or not.

I know some people who are thrilled their high school years are behind them.  I know others who seem to want to just keep reliving their glory days of high school.   

I enjoyed high school.  Thems were good years, but still.  Put  me in with those thrilled to be done.  

Would YOU go back?  For twenty bucks?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
1. Throwback time! Share an old class photo of yourself.


18 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

No, Abby, I am with you. I loved high school actually. Even with all the angst. But I would never ever wish to be back there. And funny you should talk about painters pants.
I have a photo of my high school boyfriend with them on.
(high school boyfriend = ex-husband) I was just looking at that and laughing. They even had blue denim painters paints that I wore. Oh heavens.

Annsterw said...

I would definitely go back! I loved high school! I honestly think that was my favorite time of my life so far! I was a majorette and had so many friends and NO responsibilities!!! Amazing time! You can keep the $20 - send me back!

Abby said...

Margaret - Painter pants were the bomb! Who cares that nobody ever carried a hammer or screwdriver in that tool loop??

Ann - You've hit upon all the good parts of the teen years - abundance of friends and fun and no responsibilities... If I ever have access to a time machine, I'll let you ride for free.

John Holton said...

The only way I would go back to high school is if I could undo all the stupid things I did along the way.

Very cute pictures, by the way!

Abby said...

John - well now there's an idea. Go back and undo stuff! I'd like to extend that beyond just the high school years!

LL Cool Joe said...

We have a different educational system in the UK with Infant, Junior and Senior School, so I'm not sure what age kids are at High School? And at what age to kids leave and go on to further education?

Would I go back? No way.

Abby said...

Joey - Infant school? What is Infant school??
Around here, kids are in elementary school from 5-years-old to about 11. Then they go to middle school until they're around 14, then onto high school until they're 18, but can "legally" drop-out of school at 16, I think. I know it's different in the UK, fill us in.

ShadowRun300 said...

NEVER. I enjoyed my high school days, but not my family life at the time. I’d be happy to stay in my 40s forever. Unfortunately that’s nearing the end. How are the 50’s? ;)
(Which by the way, you look exactly the same as you did in high school - minus the bad perm.)

Tee said...

I LOVED those painter's pants! I had a traditional white pair ... and as I recall, I royal blue pair too!

You high school photos are great ... both the freshman and senior versions. I would say that in mine, I look much more awkward. I was never comfortable with myself back then. It wasn't until after high school that I blossomed and became more sure of myself. So put me in the camp with those who take a big old pass on making a return trip.

May said...

I was lucky to have fun, carefree high school years. Even so I wouldn't choose to return. Your photos are beautiful. No awkward stage for you growing up!

KatBouska said...

I kind of love that we basically wrote the same blog post with different pictures and different favorite shirts. lol! You were a knock out!

Kimberly said...

First of all, you are so pretty!
I would return if I could only play the sports and meet my friends. Oh and hang out with my English teacher and the Science guy who almost set the school on fire when he tried an experiment. That was fun times.

Abby said...

SR300 - 40's were good, but not sure I'd wanna go back. 50's? I think I'm still in denial...

Tee - Is it really you?? I've missed you like a good pair of painter's pants!

Kat - I know, right? Funny the most memorable thing seemed to be what we wore for picture day :P

Kimberly - Hey, I had English teacher and Science guy that I'd love to hang out with too! And yes, play the sports (in that younger body).

Abby said...

May - I agree, it was all fun, but life is lived forward!

Linda Hensley said...

I'd go back for a day, like an anthropological expedition. More than that? Noooo. I'm sure I could do it all better a second time now that I'm all wise and everything, but I doubt I'd have as much fun since wisdom would prevent most of the things that were so much fun. Very cute pics. It seems you haven't changed much :)

Abby said...

Linda, I agree. Just a anthropological "visit", since all this wisdom (ha!) would take away all the fun.

Kim (The ReInVintaged Life) said...

Nah....the ONLY thing I would want to go back for would be my high school body, but I'm not even sure that would be worth it. I did have a pretty decent, strong body! But was so invisible and such an outcast. I spent most of my high school years crying and worried, although looking back through photos paints an entirely different picture. But then again, we document the good and fun times, and not the sad, brooding ones.

Kim

Patty said...

Love how you ended your post...with a question. Great idea for a writing prompt!

Would I go back? Definitely. And not for any cash enticement. Just the chance to take the knowledge I have at this point and do things differently would be wonderful. To give a few people some much-needed swift kicks for being such toads during our school years..even more wonderful!

And, by the way, you looked absolutely terrific then..and still do now!