Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

gamer appreciation

I don't game.  Despite having various gaming platforms living in my household at various times, I wouldn't know the first thing to do if I ever found myself in the middle of a modern video game.  In fact, I vaguely remember, many years ago, picking up one of the controllers as my then elementary-school-aged kids were playing some PS2 game.  I was dead within seconds and never picked up a controller again.  I still don't even know how I died.

But I've got a new appreciation for the gaming community.

Y'all know I tutor online.  Most of my tutees are in high school or college.  I now admittedly smile inwardly whenever I go into the online classroom and see something similar to this at the other end:

SOURCE
Okay, he'd have to lose the VR headset, but otherwise, I'm a happy tutor.  It's because gamers got game!

Well... obviously.  But I mean, they've got all the best gear!

Sometimes the student is at the kitchen table or such, with no earbuds or headphones, so I'm catching all the echo.  And/or Mom or Dad is in the background loading up the dishwasher or something, and I'm getting all the clanging and banging. And/or they're on an old decrepit laptop with blurry, laggy audio and video, sounding like they're speaking from an aluminum can...

But not the gamers.  Oh no.  They're in some dedicated lair.  Their video is clear and smooth.  Their audio... OMG, their audio!  Words can't describe.

I still have no desire to become a gamer myself, but I want to give a shout out to those who take such care of their online streaming lives.

In other entertainment news, we've watched three movies recently, of which I will give a short synopsis.

The Little Hours:  I'm not gonna lie.  I thought this was pretty funny.  It's silly and raunchy, but that's what I expected, so I wasn''t disappointed.  It actually did have a bit of a plot, which I hadn't expected, so - win.

Hello, My Name is Doris:  This one had its moments.  I was expecting mostly comedy, which was present.  But it was also rather serious and sad and downright uncomfortable to watch at times.  Plus the main character is a hoarder, among other things, and the clutterphobe in me had to look away.

Zoe:  I could NOT get into this movie at all, despite the decent cast.  I found it slow and boring and containing too many plot holes for me.  I did nod off a few times only to awaken and see that the darn thing was still going.  Maybe it's got some good scenes that I slept through.

Anything entertaining to share?



5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Abby you could probably guess aside from PacMan and Ms PakMan I have never played video games. I wouldn't know how to do all that stuff and not having children makes me even more of a relic.
But that is pretty funny about them having their own liar and so the distraction noises are not there. Something to be said for those gaming nerds...I mean people :-)

I liked the Doris movie.The other two I have never heard of. I just watched Ocean's 8. Entertaining but...not great.

LL Cool Joe said...

My daughter is a gamer and her computer and sound system are excellent. The bass is so good.

I haven't seen any of the films you've mentioned, but I did see Ocean's 8 too and really enjoyed it.

ShadowRun300 said...

I’m still laughing at the fact that you still don’t know how you died. I laughed all the way through the Super Mario game I tried to play a while back. I could not control the little guy for nothin’. That was my first and last gaming experience.
But you’re right... I have three gamers and their lairs/bedrooms are decked out to the max. The rest of the house... eh... not so much.
I haven’t watched a movie in a long time. I prefer to watch the Cardinals games, and even then, I fall asleep soon after I sit down to watch it. But I enjoyed reading your synopsises (synopsisi?) What the heck is the plural of that anyway. 🤔

Chatty Crone said...

Well I am glad gamers have something good going for them - I am not into it. I honestly don't like it.

We saw Tag recently - it was a true story - and it would have been good had it not been Rated R for all the swear words.

I guess I am a prude.

Abby said...

Margaret - The Doris movie was more serious than I expected. "uncomfortable to watch at times", but not necessarily in a bad way. I think it was supposed to be uncomfortable. There I was all, "Don't do it, Doris!!" too many times.

Joe - I appreciate the gamers' audio the most. So smooth!

SR300 - All I remember was that that there were monsters and machines all around. One or both killed me. Or maybe it was crossfire or stupdity... It all happened so quickly - faster than you can say "synopsises"!

Chatty - I've seen the trailer for Tag. My recommendation for you: Do NOT see The Little Hours!