Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2018

plumbing appreciation day




As expected, the call of the wild took hold on Friday with the pooch.



It was a lovely day out, so it was easy to give in to Ella's suggestion to go out for a proper hike.  She and I headed out to a fave spot of the locals that is a bit off the beaten path from the touristy types - no offense to the touristy types, but... well... y'know...





I am a bit wary at this particular area because of rattlesnakes.  We've seen them on a few occasions, and a woman was recently bitten and had to be airlifted out.  BUT what's an adventure without a little danger?



It was nice to be out with such a youthful, agile companion.  We've only recently had our old lady dog, China, before she went to dog heaven, and she hadn't been up for all this scampering in a long time.  Ella was eating it up.


We traipsed around for quite a while, and thusly satisfied, headed home.  

I was looking forward to getting cleaned up before a couple of tutoring appointments, and I went to the sink to fill a bowl of water for Ella before heading to the showers.  

Nothing.

No water.  

Just that eerie sucking sound the faucet makes when there's no water.

I'd passed a crew working on our street.  They had a big chunk of road torn up from where water had been seeping the day before.  Water main break.  Oh goody.

Thankfully, we've got a bit of prepper mentality in our household (who goes by the name of Magnum) since ya never know when the zombies will take over!  I went down to our crawl space to bring up one of our several jugs of water.  They hold 5 or 7 gallons.  Here's your question of the day:  how much does 5 to 7 gallons of water weigh?

It's about 40 to 60 pounds, but I got it lugged upstairs to the kitchen so I could pretend we had a sink.  And it wasn't so bad.  Like camping, except in a house.  

Bottom line, I did not get a proper shower after our avid hiking and before the tuting.  I'll just say it's a good thing that both tutees were online and not in person!  I managed to make myself appear presentable enough.  I think.

It's rare that we lose our running water, so this little episode was a good reminder of how much I appreciate it.  I was also glad to have those filled jugs sitting in our crawl space, regardless of how cumbersome they are to heft around.  

The water was back up and running by the early evening.  Have you hugged your pipes today?



5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I keep a grateful journal and pipes will be on it!

Abby said...

Chatty - Grateful journal. Good idea! I need to start one, and pipes will be on it.

ShadowRun300 said...

I’ve experienced water outages at the hotel before, but never in my home. I feel like I wouldn’t handle that very well. But thank goodness for Magnum! Has he since replaced the water you used?

Abby said...

SR300 - Never in your home? We went for two weeks once in my hometown when I was a teenage. I've not been the same since. We didn't have zombie jugs in our house, but the national guard brought in the water buffaloes... memories.
Hopefully Magnum replaced the water we used, 'cause I didn't :P

Annsterw said...

I agree - we never really appreciate our modern conveniences until we can't use them anymore....water, electricity, vehicle. I hug my pipes daily! LOL! I am following you now - you can back if you wish at Annster's Domain