Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2018

a date with a glider that wasn't a date and didn't have a glider

"My brother said he can't make it, but... wanna still go?"

My co-worker Jeff was standing under the glare of the porch light.  It was about 3 a.m. and pitch dark outside.  I'd been up for about a half hour getting ready.  I'd watched for him so he wouldn't ring the doorbell and wake my housemates.

At Jeff's announcement, I considered my options.  (a) go back to bed, or (b) say "what the hell" and go anyway.  I was up and dressed.  Jeff was there.  I chose (b).

The original plan was hatched earlier that week.  Jeff's brother had a glider, and Jeff was a photographer/hobbyist.  Brother asked Jeff to hike to the summit of a particular mountain and take photos of the glider as Brother glided around the summit of said mountain.


About what Bro had in mind
except he didn't show


"Want to join me?", Jeff had asked during our morning break stroll around the industrial park.

It sounded like a fun adventure.  Plus, I'd never been that close to a glider as it was actually gliding.  Plus, what else did I have to do that morning?

So there would be no glider, but we hiked that trail up that mountain.  Jeff had his camera and took a few shots.  We got to the summit and watched the sun come up.  It was a beautiful thing.  Like watching the world wake up.  The darkness gave way to the Denver skyline miles and miles away, with miles and miles of plains stretched out beyond.

Jeff snapped some pics.  I was wearing a jacket with my initials on it that I'd gotten from Junior College, and I remember Jeff commenting on the jacket and asking how I'd come to have it.  Then he took some photos of me.  I realize now that I never saw any of the photos.  This was long before digital cameras were mainstream.

We eventually hiked back down.  It was a beautiful morning with the smell of evergreens all around.

Back in civilization, we went to a Greek restaurant known for it's huge omelets.  We ate huge omelets and drank about a gallon of coffee.  I'm pretty sure Jeff paid.

That was one of my best dates ever.  Except it wasn't a date.

Was it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
1. A memorable date.

5 comments:

May said...

I think it was a date. What's more--it is better than some of mine that I am certain were dates!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Sounds like it was a super fun date.

Believe in the Magic Traci said...

Sounds like a fun date.

Linda Hensley said...

Sounds like a great day whatever it was. Wishing you many more happy days!

LL Cool Joe said...

At the time it was a date, nowadays it wouldn't be. :D Sounds like a fun day. Even with the omelet.