Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

You know how, when you're laid up sick in bed, and you're all, "Oh man, I'll not take being unsick for granted again", and then you're healthy again for a few days and finding other stuff to whine about? 

Well, NOT ME!  I'm happy to be back among the living, and it's all good.

Whatever I had, I'm not sure if it was the flu or what.  It knocked me off the earth for a couple of days, but then I got better relatively quickly, so who knows?  But I figure I should count my blessings.  Here are Five Most Recent Favorite Things (in no particular order):



My commute.  
Y'all remember a few years back I actually consulted a bit with a life coach?  Part of that process involved me finding my passions or something like that.  I remember going to a site and answering several questions which then ranked things that I'm passionate about.  Apparently. 

Turns out, one of my biggest passions is efficiency.  I don't like waste.  Of anything:  money, things, talent, time... In fact, that's probably why I consulted with a life coach in the first place "I'm spinning my wheels here, times-a-wasting!"

Anyhoo, this is why my work commute is an important deciding factor for me.  And if I can commute on my bicycle or walk, well then! Fun transportation is not a waste! Currently, I can do either.  My job is about a 30-minute walk or 20-minute bike ride from my house 😊😊


My parka.
On the commute note, it's quite cold this week.  Doesn't bother me none!
About 18 years ago, I got a nice parka from Cabela's.  I was preggars with Meego and liked to go for daily waddles.  When I got too big for my own jacket, I started wearing Magnum's.  He got me the Cabela's parka - complete with adjustable waist - saying I "deserved it", which really probably meant, "stop wearing my jacket".
I can't believe I still have it, but it's the warmest thing ever!


My coworkers.
They're a fun bunch.  We manage to avoid a lot of drama we hear about from other kitchens.  We do have one guy who works with us too.  Joe.  Nice guy.  He doesn't say a whole lot, but I've concluded that it's not because he's shy.  It's just a smart tactic he's figured out.


Watching the Olympics.
It's hard to not get caught up in the Olympic spirit.  And if you're riding the couch with the flu, it doesn't take much effort. Today, I was feeling a bit sad that they'll be over in a few days.  But then, if they were on all the time, they wouldn't be special.


My Kindle.
Chaco talked me into getting one a few months ago.  I still like to read physical books, but I can just download them to my Kindle easily and quickly from the library and carry them around without all that bulk.  Damn efficient. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. List your five most recent favorite things



16 comments:

KatBouska said...

You are a breath of fresh air. I can't believe how I struggle to get myself to go on a basic WALK everyday and yet here you are biking/walking to and from work everyday. You're inspiring! So glad you're feeling better!

Linda Hensley said...

I was thinking we're a lot alike and that I should talk to your life coach until I got to the kindle. I'm unwilling to give up real books. Touching pages and smelling ink is part of the experience! I'm glad you're feeling better and loving your coworkers :)

ShadowRun300 said...

I’ve had an illness like that, and it definitely makes you appreciate being unsick.
I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying your coworkers. So important. :). And your other favorite things are quite similar to mine - a much shorter commute than I used to have, a heated blanket I can cozy up with when it’s cold, and a job that keeps me challenged and engaged every single day. I don’t have a kindle, but my iPad Pro has been my best “screen” purchase in a long time.

Jimmy said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better now, and as for the Kindle I am on my third one now and I use it every single day and love it, the one I have now is the Fire 8.9 HDX the only thing that sucks is the speakers but everything else is perfect and earbuds cures the speaker problem anyways.

Abby said...

Aw shucks. Actually, I find it more fun to get out if I have an actual destination :)

Abby said...

I resisted the kindle for the longest time, but Chaco sold me on one. I'm usually working away on both a physical and digital book at the same time. I like paper pages too!

Abby said...

All sounds like good stuff to me!
And I'm feeling much better this week although I'm still getting rid of the last of the mucus. I had no idea my head could produce so much fluid!

Abby said...

Oh, you've got the full-blown tablet. I just have the paperwhite e-reader. I really like the no-glare screen.

LL Cool Joe said...

Firstly, I'm glad you are feeling better.

You can't beat a warm jacket. I can't share your enthusiasm about the Winter Olympics though, but my partner would. The idea of people throwing themselves onto a sheet of ice on a tea tray seems kinda mad to me!

Marcy said...

I'm with you on the waste. I with I could walk or bike to work! So far away... Glad you're feeling well.

Abby said...

Ha! Well, since you put it that way...

Abby said...

My dad walked to work/everywhere and said it was one of the many things he liked about our small town. I guess it rubbed off on me, even though I live among the sprawl where most people are stuck commuting in cars.

John Holton said...

Will you be watching the figure skating gala tonight? (Saturday) I actually look forward to seeing that.

Abby said...

Probably!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Gotta love a short commute - it's one of our favorite things about where we live. Glad you are feeling better!

Abby said...

Thanks!