Pages

Sunday, December 3, 2017

one week to go, the high school musical

Where did this past week go?  I feel like it was busy and productive, but I have no blog submissions to show for it.  Well, here we go...

For one thing, I'm in the process of leaving my job and starting a new one. Yup, my "new" job is now my "old" and I've got a new "new".  It's a bit of a tedious and whiny story, so I'll be brief.

I took this job at a nice area  high school.  I don't have a teaching license and have been going back and forth for the past few years, wondering if I should get a license and just be a high school teacher already.  So this job opened up, which didn't require a license, but would be a strong step toward getting one PLUS a job.

After doing this gig for a while, I consulted with my inner cells to see their thoughts on pursuing a license.  After crunching the data, here are the results:


Okay, so yeah, it was unanimous, but unanimous elections make for dull pie charts...

In the end, I got my answer.  No more wondering.  And I'm glad that I didn't just go ahead and jump through the various hoops to get a license only to learn AFTERWARD that it wasn't for me.  So it's all good, and I'm a lame duck for another week when the semester ends.

And I've got another job lined up to begin once this one ends, so I've been overlapping quitting the school job and going in for some training and such for the new one.

In somewhat related news, one of my students got himself suspended last week for 5 days, which is a lot of days to be suspended for.  I'm curious as to what he did, but since no one's told me, I haven't asked, out of respect for his privacy.

In the meantime, I eavesdrop on student conversations.  In one, I heard "jail" and "probably".  So curious.

Another day last week, security came through our classrooms with the cutest drug sniffing pooches!  I think it was just a random sweep, but they did remove one of my students' backpacks, and the kid was in the office for quite a while.  I wasn't surprised, to be honest.

But back to the dogs.  They were the cutest black labs.  I'd pictured drug sniffers as German Shepherds, but these were small black labs, about 40 lbs. I wanted to play with them, but they were all business.



I have had some fun stories from my semester of high school, but not enough fun to make me want to stick around and go bonkers.


12 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Yay for your new job! How exciting! Are you gonna tell us what it is?
Either way, I’m glad you were able to decide what it is you really want. Or at least what you don’t want.
Love the cartoon! Reminds me why I don’t miss teaching. :)

Abby said...

I'll certainly tell about the new job... once I'm out of this "awkward in between stage"!

Linda Hensley said...

I'm glad for you that you found your answer about teaching before making a huge investment in it. I was on the verge of taking that plunge once, and then I got an art job and ran for the school exit. I long for summer breaks and a good pension though. Wishing you all the best with the new gig!

Ginny said...

Better to know now it's not for you. I hope you like your new job and can't wait to hear about it.

Morgan Cartwright said...

Congrats on the new job! That comic made me laugh out loud. Thank goodness I'm hiding in the back office trying to get work caught up. :)

Abby said...

What? I thought art teachers got all the cool kids ;)

Abby said...

It was all a good experience. Onto the next!

Abby said...

Absolutely - no laughing at work!

Linda Hensley said...

They might be cool, but independent-minded kids are difficult too.

Abby said...

Preachin' to the choir...

LL Cool Joe said...

You may not remember but I'm a qualified art teacher, but after doing my teaching practice for about a year, I really knew it wasn't for me either.

Good luck with your new job, may I ask what it is? Pole dancing?

Abby said...

I do remember that you qualified to teach art, but didn't know you spent time on the "front lines".
Pole dancing! Good guess - very close, but not at all!