Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

warm drinks and windy parades

Sipping on a cup of Maxim, enjoying an extra hour on Sunday.  Chaco's friend and former college roommate, Flop, is Korean.  He had a bag of 100 packs of Maxim Korean instant coffee that somehow made it to our house.  Then it sat in the pantry for a couple of years.  At some point, someone in the house decided to try some, and then I did too.

I don't typically like instant coffee or sugar in my coffee, but gotta say, I like this stuff.  We're down to the last few packets.  I ordered more.  It's due to arrive today.  Yay for simple pleasures and amazon prime.


The city's Veteran's Day parade was yesterday, even though Veteran's Day is next Saturday.  I think maybe the parade is just always scheduled for the first Saturday in November.

Coincidentally, my P.E.O. chapter always has a meeting on the first Saturday in November.  As such, I've missed the last couple of parades.  But this was Meego's last year marching in it with the high school band, so I was able to get a sub to be President yesterday so I could go a-parading.

It was a good time, although a very windy day.  Some parade units were really struggling to hold on to things, and hats were flying off with reckless abandon.  Meego's band looked good as always.  Good thing for chin straps.


I was optimistically thinking that the buildings along the parade route would buffer the high winds, but it was more like they provided a nice narrow channel for the wind to blast even more powerfully through.  Many of the flag teams gave up trying to twirl the things and held them horizontally.



But it was an otherwise nice show.  We have a lot of military and veteran support here in Colorado Springs, so it's a well-attended event on an important holiday.


Meego.  He's the one in blue ;)









Speaking of P.E.O., it's been busy times.  We're sponsoring a candidate for a highly competitive scholarship, got new members coming in, then this past week, one sister's husband landed in the hospital and another's younger brother passed away.   I mention this because it's the reason I didn't fully complete Inktober.

But I got all but the last two!




And it was fun, except for the time crunch.  But a good challenge all around and it was fun to see what others were coming up with.

Now it's November and NaNoWriMo.  I'm trying to write every day for the entire month, and so far, so good.  Making grocery lists and updating the résumé count, right?


4 comments:

Jimmy said...

I like what you did with the Inktober challenge, you did very well with all of them #24 blind I like as about the favorite of mine, but yet I like them all ha ha

I thought I recognized Meego as the one in Blue, I bet marching in the wind like that was a pain, smart of the twirlers to simply hold the flags horizontal, this had to work out for the best all around.

ShadowRun300 said...

Windy days do not make for good parading. But I imagine it could be a lot worse considering it’s November in Colorado. Glad you got to go!
Congratulations on a successful Inktober! Love the drawings. And totally looking forward to a blog a day from ya! Well, except for the days you choose to write a grocery list. ;)

Abby said...

Inktober was a good challenge, and it was fun doing it alongside Wolfgang. I did do 5 more, but I didn't get them scanned as I was just trying to keep my head above water as it was :).
Some bands did try to spin their flags, but it mostly looked like self punishment.

Abby said...

Oh yes, it coulda been worse. It was nice the way everyone got into the spirit despite the winds. The show must go on!
Many days, my grocery list is the most interesting thing...