Pages

Friday, November 3, 2017

high and dark

We were sitting on a log, a few feet back from the first row of partiers gathered around the fire.  Where it was dark.

Several of the others were also friends from work.  Jimmy and I were coworkers at a restaurant.  I was in high school, and Jimmy was a year or two older, but I'm not sure if Jimmy ever graduated.  We sat customers to tables and then cleaned the tables after they left, a.k.a. "host and bus".  Jimmy was known around town as a tough kid.  Got in fights and never lost.  He wasn't big, but he was muscular and quick.  He told me he won fights because he was so quick.

We went to the party after work.  It was summertime and we were pretty tired because the restaurant was always busy in the summer months.  So it was nice to be quietly sitting there on that log.  Where it was dark.

Jimmy pulled out a baggie from his shirt pocket.  From the baggie, he pulled out a previously rolled joint.  He put it to his lips and lit it with a long drag.  He held it between his thumb and index finger as a wordless offering to me. Where it was dark

"Where'd you get that?", I asked him

"My brother", he answered.

But Jimmy had lots of brothers.

I took the weed and had a puff.  I wasn't a very experienced smoker, but I tried.  Then I gave it back to Jimmy, who took another slow drag as we sat on that log and watched the fire and the people in front of us closer to the fire.

We were talking about whatever small-town teenagers talk about after their tourist restaurant jobs while sitting on a log while sharing marijuana from a brother while sitting a few feet back from others sitting around a fire.

Then Jimmy pointed up and to his left.

He said, "Look, a falling star"

I turned my head to look in his direction.  That's when he kissed me.

Funny guy, that Jimmy


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with MamaKat this week for the prompt
3.) Write a blog post inspired by the word: dark.


10 comments:

John Holton said...

That was a very sweet story.

Jimmy said...

Nice story Abby, you gotta watch those Jimmys.

KatBouska said...

Jimmy sounds exciting. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

I had a feeling it was going to end like that. For a moment I thought you were writing about our blogging buddy Jimmy. 😃

Abby said...

Thank you, John.

Abby said...

Yeah... those Jimmys!

Abby said...

He definitely had his moments.

Abby said...

This was long before I "met" blogging buddy Jimmy, but I wouldn't put the falling-star trick past our Jimmy!

Linda Hensley said...

Seems to ring a bell. Party, bonfire, pot, kissing in the dark... ah, memories! Thanks to all the Jimmys :) Congrats on bonding with Ariel. May you have many happy future memories together!

Abby said...

I'm glad we didn't have smartphones when I was growing up :)