Pages

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

teacher's pet






I was giving Bella a bath when it happened.


Suddenly, there was a *snap* and the shifter wasn't shifting anymore.  I knew it wasn't something I could readily fix by myself, so off to the trusty bike shop I went. 




Bella has been a wonderful bicycle for me for twelve years now.  Dutiful, hardworking, and tough.  But truth be told, she's getting to be a bit of a granny.  She's still a joy, but little things have been going on her and needing frequent maintenance.  The shifter was just one in a long line of *snap*

Sure enough, she needed a new shifter cable.  I was just glad it happened while she was in the bath, and not while on the road.  The friendly tech was able to get her back to good in about 10 minutes.  10 minutes I had to walk around the shop...

A voice called to me from a row of bicycles near the back of the shop - where they keep the commuters. 

"Abbeeeeeeeeee.....", I heard. 

"I've been waiting for yoooooooooooo..."

"I'm on cleeeeeeeeeeeeearrraaaaaaance ..."

I followed the voice, and it got louder.  And LOUDER.  Until I was right on top of it. 

Long story short, I went in for a broken shifter and left with a new friend.  It's been a little over a month now and she's gotten me joyfully to and from work with ease. 

I think Bella was a bit hurt when I removed her commuting jewelry and adorned the new girl, so I haven't said much about it.  Out of respect.

But today, on the facebook bicycle commuter page, someone asked for pics of our bikes while we're at work, and I had to participate.  She just makes the room so much brighter - now that I park her inside my room instead of the bike rack where those hooligans broke my tail light.

Blog, meet Ariel


Best kid in class.


6 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Well, hello Ariel! Nice to meetcha.
She’s a beaut, but I’ll miss Bella. She’s been through a lot with you, and I feel like I know her well. Nice of her to snap during her bath, and not on a ride. She’s a good girl. :)

Abby said...

Maybe Bella's enjoying her retirement. I put the snow tires on her, so she can be my winter-mobile. Because I need 3 bikes? :P

Jimmy said...

I don't blame you for parking Ariel inside, that is a good looking bike. I imagine that Bella will be OK with being the winter-mobile, that's a whole lot better than other possibilities...

1 bike 3 bikes, it's all good.

LL Cool Joe said...

Poor Bella, I feel sad about a bike, that has to be a first. So why have you named the new bike Ariel, I can't imagine it's Disney related.

Abby said...

In some ways, the taillight incident was a good thing because now I can park inside and the bosses can't complain :)

Abby said...

Bella has that affect on people.
Actually, Ariel's "birth parents" named her, and I kept it. Seemed fitting

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ariel-hydraulic-disc/p/129174