Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2017

staying chill

Yesterday morning, I was out for a run, and I went through Mouse Town.  Earlier in the week, Magnum told me I shouldn't run over there because of the Pooper Lady.

"What?  If I see her, I'll take her out!", I replied

"No", he explained, "You shouldn't run there because people might think you're her - brunette runner lady"

"PFFFT, I don't look anything like her"

She does appear taller than me in the covert pics of her.  Plus, I don't wear the tight spandex ensemble or bright green shoes or old lady bun she's wearing in the photos either.  I also don't carry handfuls of TP... But still, I felt a bit paranoid as I made my way through the area.  "I'm somebody else with dark hair!", I felt like explaining.

At last check, her identity remains a mystery.  Charmin has even offered her a year's supply of free TP if she turns herself in, but no takers.

I also ride through Mouse Town each weekday on my commute to and from work.  Since the new park's been completed, it's even a nicer ride than before.  The job can be tedious at times, but at least there's a nice commute đŸ˜€.

I "teach" Study Hall for 10th thru 12th grade at a high school.  I don't really teach a specific subject, since it's study hall, but the students do have some requirements in order to pass and I'm there to help with homework or other stuff.  But other than doling out the assignments and grading them, I'm sort of a zoo keeper.

One of the reasons I took the job - other than the fact that I didn't have any other solid offers at the time! - was so I could explore working in a high school to see if I should go ahead and get that license.  I'm leaning toward a "no", although my supervisors have opened that door for me at this school.

I'd just forgotten how restrictive public school is, and that's what I find so tedious.  But I do enjoy the students.  They recently did a grade check and reflection for me, and as with their other assignments, I enjoy reading their comments - kinda like kid blogs

Exhibit 1 is from a girl who apparently doesn't have much faith in her Algebra 3 outlook, among other observations.  I also noted that it's another instance of a student describing me as "chill".

Exhibit 1

Exhibit 2 is from a boy who knows how to tell it like it is, particularly in regard to his "History" class.

Exhibit 2

I wonder what he thought zoology was?  And super nice teacher or not, he's still getting a D in speech.  Study hall is fun?

I notice that the Student 1 didn't include her grade percentages and that Student 2 included his, but put grades and percentages in the wrong columns.

A couple of rebels, obviously.  I like 'em.




4 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

"I get lazy" that made me laugh out loud. I totally feel that student. And that boy, he's killing it in Chemistry! He needs to get extra bonus points for that.

ShadowRun300 said...

I getcha on the restrictiveness. Maybe Colorado's different, but teaching in Illnois was tough. We couldn't just teach. I think it's gotten worse even, since I've been out. But don't let that sway you. It's very rewarding, and the kids are great.
(I can see how you might be mistaken for Pooper Lady. But only because of the short dark hair. Is she still poopin?)

Abby said...

With a lot of these kids, you can tell they're just writing what the teacher wants to hear. I appreciate the honest and entertaining ones!

Abby said...

I do enjoy the kids, I just wish we could sometimes treat them more like the almost adults they are. Then again...
I haven't heard anything new on Pooper Lady's activity. Hopefully she's laying low from all the media attention - or whatever!