Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2016

ice skate you skate we all skate

It was sometime in the early '90s.  Winter of '91 or '92.  We lived in upstate New York and came to Colorado for a little Christmas vacay with Magnum's family.

I'd been on ice skates only once before in my life, when I was probably about 10 years old.  Back then, I was at the home of a friend who lived on a ranch with several ponds on the property.  We went skating on one of the ponds.  I'm sure I fell several times, but I remember thinking it was fun, and so different from what I'd seen on TV.

But this last time was different too.  This time we were on the much larger and smoother Keystone Lake.  I fell several times there too, and on a bigger scale, but as I recall it was all very fun on a lovely sunny Colorado winter's day.

Pinterest

But it's not about how good of a skater you are, everyone knows it's all about how you look while doing it.

We were skating with Magnum's brother, brother's wife, and their toddler daughter who is now in her late 20's.  My brother-in-law was wearing a very loud getup, fashionable for the time and the country where they lived.

My fashion sense was impeccable with my big 90's hair and awesome acid washed mom jeans when they weren't just for moms.




Interesting how much fashion changes in 25 years.  

Thank God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Linking up again with Mama Kat for the prompt:
6. Tell us about the last time you went ice skating.

.

14 comments:

Small Talk Mama said...

The whole fam looked good!! It's so fun to be able to look at photos and immediately know the decade from which they came.

Madamdreamweaver said...

I love the first picture of the skater in the broken wall.That's me when it comes to ice skating, which I only did once and never EVER again.

Morgan Cartwright said...

It looks so pretty out there!
I'm totally the first picture though.

LL Cool Joe said...

Seriously men wore those kind of clothes in the 90's? A pink hat with a bobble on it? :D

Abby said...

I can often remember the year by looking at the clothes :P, but photos can bring back fun memories too.

Abby said...

It looks so easy on TV!

Abby said...

It really is a pretty area, year-round, when not face planting.

Abby said...

At the time, they lived in a more "fashionable" country, and we were led to believe his outfit was normal. It's hard to appreciate his whole ensemble since he's crouching behind his daughter in the pic.

ShadowRun300 said...

I think I had that coat! And those jeans. And that hair!
We've taken the kids to an indoor rink a few times, and it's great fun. Not sure why, but I've never fallen while skating. But put me in a pair of running shoes, and I'm guaranteed to end up on the ground.

Abby said...

I think we all had the coat, the jeans, the hair!
I've never ice skated indoors. I'm pretty sure I'd fall there too.

KatBouska said...

Ice skaters make it look so easy! Love the throwback! I made all of those same iconic fashion choices.

Larz said...

You know, I think I skated at that exact rink probably that exact year. We had a friend of the family that had a condo (timeshare I think?) in Keystone. I was super fashionable. Obviously. I think my puffy jacket was purple and blue and my hair was also quite bushy...

Abby said...

I tried to channel the graceful skaters, but it came out all wrong.

Abby said...

Bushy hair was all the rage then, I'm sure you rocked it.
We must've just missed each other! Good thing because I might have accidentally run over you, and I was much bigger than you were then.