Pages

Friday, December 23, 2016

nice to meetcha, intestinal protozoa!

The comma in the title is meant to separate items in a series.  It's not nice to meet intestinal protozoa.

A couple of months ago, we got a letter from our veterinarian informing us that she was retiring and had sold the practice to a nice new vet.  While I was a bit sad to see her go, it's nice that she can retire on her own terms with fun plans.  I'd guess she's in her mid 60's, and she's been our vet for the last 12 years through two dogs and three cats.

I took China in this week for her annual checkup, and so I met the new vet.  Her name is Bond, Dr. Bond... heh.  Anyway, I like her.  She seems very competent and personable and she spent a good amount of time getting to know China, the "old gal".

Honestly, after last  year's annual check, I'm surprised that China is still with us a year later.  Last year, we discovered liver problems associated with her age.  But she just keeps chugging along with no real indication of a desire to leave just yet.

So the vet called me with the follow-up this morning.  She "surprisingly" found that China is shedding giardia.  And I said, "Really?!" And the vet said, "I know, right?!"

Really, at her age, China spends the bulk of the days lounging on her bed.  We get her out for about a one-mile walk in the evenings, and she spends a bit of quality time in her dog run in the backyard each day.  I figured giardia to be for the more adventurous, but apparently not.

The good thing is, it doesn't seem to be making her very sick (knock on wood).  She's just a typical old lady dog.

So she's got some medicine to help "clean the pipes", and I gave her a bath.  These days, whenever I give China a bath, I think of Patrick Star:



Yeah, I sort of enjoy giving her a bath.  And I bet she's now got the cleanest dog butt on the block.

.

8 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Thanks for sharing the link. Never heard of giardia. Are you sure China stays tucked in bed every night? ;)

LL Cool Joe said...

Sounds like China has a night life you know nothing about. ;)

Happy Christmas Abby, have a wonderful holiday.

Abby said...

I think of giardia being a threat when travelling to other countries or not filtering your camping water. What's China been up to??

Abby said...

Lazy old lady dog by day, wild party dog at night!
Happy Christmas to you!

Riot Kitty said...

Yikes! She sounds like a tough old lady. I hope to become the same one day.

Ginny said...

Aww poor pup. I'm glad she's going ok. She's a trooper.

Abby said...

Yes, she's an inspiration!

Abby said...

I think she actually likes her medicine. It looks like cocaine.