Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

lights over Mouse Town

They're here.  Have you seen them?

It mainly started over this past weekend.  Magnum and I were out taking China for her beauty walks and noticed more traffic on the trails and pathways.  Unfamiliar faces.

The Resolutionists.

This morning, I was out for a run in the dark and Mouse Town  was lit UP!  Kinda like this:



Okay, maybe they weren't quite that packed it, but considering that I hardly ever see any other humans in Mouse Town at that hour, the presence of all those headlamps was notable.  

Personally, I never wear a headlamp when just traipsing around town, even in Mouse Town (patch of undeveloped preserve in the middle of the suburbs where endangered mice happily live) .  There's usually enough light pollution to get me through, and I'm  not wearing glasses anyway so...  In fact, about the only times I've seen headlamps while running around the suburbs have been during the resolution month of January.  

So there they were, and other people were out along my route too.  Some headlamped, some not, some with pooches, some not.  I wonder what the dogs think of being part of their masters' resolutions.  Paws up or down?  

As for me, my resolutions are

  • Be in bed by a decent hour each night - at least on weeknights.
  • Get hitched up with a local P.E.O. chapter


Uhm... that's pretty much it.  

So far so good (at least I'm thinking about it) on the first one.  Nearly at the honeymoon stage with the second one, so yeah.

And a (53 years old and fast) woman I met at the Rescue Run coaxed me into joining the local running organization, if for nothing else, the discounts at local stores.  Two pairs of shoes would "pay" for my annual dues.  

I got my membership card in the mail last week.  My name is spelled wrong.  

Figures.
.

19 comments:

Ms. CrankyPants said...

The lights on the guys in the front look like light sabers, which amused me, 'cause then of course I thought they looked like, er, lit-up male organs, if you see where I'm going. (So subtle; let me know if you need a hint.)

The mice are so cute! Glad they have a wee oasis in your 'hood.

Great resolutions, BTW.

Abby said...

I wasn't going to mention the forehead penises myself...

LL Cool Joe said...

I was going to make a serious comment but now all I can think about is glowing penises and their ranging sizes.

Abby said...

An understandable dilemma.

terri said...

Yep. Mrs. Cranky Pants stole the show here in the comments section. Don't think I can top the phallic references!

Abby said...

Yeah, I pretty much could've written anything here with this imagery!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. Where do you find such things? Too funny!
My town is the opposite of Mouse Town. The last couple of times I've been out, NObody else is out there. But like you, I run early. Maybe they're just sleeping in.
So this is the year you're getting hitched? Can't wait to hear all about it!

Guano said...

I see how you did that, the emphasis on (and I quote) "Mouse Town was lit UP"

Rock Chef said...

I used to have a head lamp for dog walks in the dark, but the straps became worn and it started to slip around and annoy me. Now I just take a torch so I can see the poop.

Abby said...

Usually there's NObody out there, except for the crazy guy who's riding his bike on the road with no light and no helmet. And yes, it's time to make an honest woman of me.

Abby said...

I just googled this image, but if the shoe fits... or whatever...

Abby said...

I actually wear a headlamp for kennel clean up if it's after dark. Luckily, I haven't done that enough to wear the straps down. And I love how Brits use "torch" for flashlight, now I have visions of Rock Chef the barbarian, out there waving fire!

agg79 said...

Thanks Abby. Now I can't get forehead penises (or is that penisi?) out of my head. Almost looks like a glow run we had down here last weekend.

I still have my Petzl from my Philmont days but I never could get the hang of running (much less walking) with a headlamp. I've been looking for a solution for walking my two mutts in the morning or at night before finally settling on a pair of clip on blinky lights for the dogs. Gives some heads up warning to any drivers and lets me see where the dogs are in the dark. I would say my dogs would vote paws up. Nice resolutions to have.

Riot Kitty said...

OMG that mouse is SO CUTE!!! I hadn't heard of PEO before - that looks like a great organization. I had a volunteer that got through school on an AAUW scholarship, and she was very grateful.

Abby said...

I will not run with a headlamp - especially now? I have seen dog walkers out in the dark with lights strapped to the pooches. Brilliant!

Abby said...

The mice are pretty cute. Developers around here don't think so, but I rather like Mouse Town, so whatever works!
PEO is a pretty old organization that has helped lots of women. I used to be fairly active, but slacked off. Time to get my butt in gear.

Anita said...

Light sabers, lit UP male organs, phallic references, penises/penisi, ranging sizes... who knew I'd stop by and see such colorful comments today. :)
And I've learned a new British word - Torch. I'll have to use it on my dog walking friends when we run into each other at night. I always have my "torch" in order to be a responsible pooper scooper, but they don't always have theirs. I'll say, "Where's your torch!"

Your mention of PEO gets me curious again.

Abby said...

That's certainly a more acceptable question than "Where's your forehead penis?!"

If you're interested in finding out more about PEO, let me know and I can probably get you in touch with some local chapters where you are, because "one does not simply..." (thinking of that LOR meme) join up.

Anita said...

Got a few things to check off my list over the next few months, but will keep you and PEO in mind as a possibility. It's so nice to know people in high places. :) Thanks.