Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Silver Liningness Sunday

Welcome to the weekend wrap-up from the week of Thankfulness!

It was so nice to have a little break from the usual work/school grind and have all of the kids' smiling faces around the house.

Throw in a fun, charitable 5k and a colonoscopy, and who could ask for more?!

The local newspaper snapped this pic of Wolfgang and some Turkey Trot also-rans.  Wolfgang ran with a few of his running buddies from high school.  He finished at just over 20 minutes after not running for about a month and while nursing a slight cold.

I wish I could run at his bad day pace on a good day.



Although there was a bit of a break in classes, the actual work didn't slow all that much.  We're in the final push before the end of the semester, so lots of final projects and looming final exams.  The nice thing is that the light at the end of semeseter 1 tunnel is getting bigger and bigger, and I'm pretty happy with where I'm sitting.  I wasn't sure what going back to school would be like after so LONG, but it's been fun and I'm holding my own pretty well.

I also realized I've made a few school friends.  Even some classmates who rubbed me the wrong way in the initial weeks have turned out to be fun, and I find myself hoping they are in some of my classes next semester.

The house is currently very quiet except for the barking, sexing toads.  The menfolk all went to the shooting range while I finished some schoolwork.  Now that's done so I think I'll take China for her beauty walk.

Here's another newspaper photo from the Turkey Trot - The Flash winning.  I saw a bit of a post race interview with him.  He led most of the way but was passed at one point by the guy who would eventually take 3rd.   Flash regained the lead in the final mile.



"I had to, the crowd was all cheering for The Flash!"

There is something to be said for crowd support.

Thank you to my blog friends, for your support!
.

11 comments:

http://liquidmindsoul.blogspot.com/ said...

Nice picture of Wolfgang in the run. My daughter and her family did a 5K run in CA too and to them it is no big deal at all. For me, it would probably bring the "big one". Ha. Keep up the good work in school. You are doing a very good thing for yourself and we are all applauding you from blogland.

Abby said...

I enjoy doing these races on holidays. There are other 5k's and 10k's throughout the year, but I don't really have time for them. Turkey Trots and the like make for fun holiday family traditions, and beat Black Friday tramplings any day!
Thanks for the school encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I wish the one thing my Thanksgiving week had in common with your Thanksgiving week was a Turkey Trot. But no.... it was a colonoscopy.
I'm thrilled to hear you're enjoying school so much! It means you made the right choice!
And it's easy to support you and your blog when you're so good at it. Thank YOU for staying so committed. :)

Abby said...

Aw, thanks. And actually, I was kinda glad to not be the lone colonoscopy wife this week :)

Riot Kitty said...

You crack me up! Managing to laugh about colonoscopies...and including it in a post with "trot" - your sense of humor will get you through, for sure.

Abby said...

It couldn't have just been coincidence...

meleah rebeccah said...

Go Wolfgang! Damn - he made awesome time, even though he wasn't feeling very well.

"I also realized I've made a few school friends.  Even some classmates who rubbed me the wrong way in the initial weeks have turned out to be fun, and I find myself hoping they are in some of my classes next semester." - EXCELLENT!!

terri said...

No turkey trots over here either. I'm sure there was one. I just wasn't in it. I wanted to at least go to the gym on Thanksgiving morning, but they didn't open until 8:00 and I was in the kitchen starting to prep the turkey at that point!

Glad you guys could enjoy a fun race during your break. No superhero costumes for you?

Marcy said...

How cool that the newspaper snapped that photo. One time my very tall son went "jogging" with me, and for some parts he will able to walk alongside me as I jogged, so I'm sure your pace is faster than mine!

Linda Hensley said...

I think you missed the point of the holiday which is to eat to bursting and then avoid doing anything useful. You set examples that I just can't live up to! Good for you. I love that the Flash won the race :)

Anita said...

I'm glad Flash won. How embarrassing would it be to be dressed like a super hero and not? Nice entertainment for the crowd and a boost to the holiday spirit. Maybe Wolfgang can dress up next year and beat him!