Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

nice package?

I nearly Rock Chefed yesterday.  But I really don't want to put it in those terms, as much as I like making verbs of people's names...

I'm referring to the stream of bad luck that our friend RC had last week.  Yesterday morning, I gathered my stuff and headed out to class.  About a mile and a half away from home, I noticed some strange handling from Tessa.  I pulled over and reached down to feel squishy what should've been firm.  Not good, right ladies?  Yep, my tire was deflating.

In Tessa's defense, I was aware of this problem.  My front tire has had a slow leak for a couple of weeks now.  But it was a slow leak as in, it needed topping off every couple of days or so.  Then it went to daily topping offs.  Somewhere,  it had become needing another hit every 15 minutes or so.

I had been thinking that I should change out the tube or repatch it, but I'm cheap environmentally efficient, and wanted to get all the life out of that tube that I could.  I guess I did.

So I walked home, Tessa limping along beside me.  I swapped her out for big girl Bella, and the day was saved.  So really, compared to RC's, my plight was quite mild.  I gave Tessa a shiny fresh tube from my stash of shiny fresh tubes, and everyone's happy now.

Earlier, I'd received a "Great Gifts for Dad!" e-mail.  Curious, I opened it to find it was for a saddle bag and cycling socks package sale.



  Great gifts for Dad?  I'm pretty sure my dad would not be interested.  I do know some moms that might like this though.  As well as some men who have not fathered any children.

The advert says the bag is "ideal for MTB sized for two spare tube, tyre levers and repair kit."

Maybe they're thinking that girls don't care for socks and don't get flat tires.



I wish.

.



13 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Glad you could get things sorted nice and quickly.
I change inner tubes at the drop of a hat - I figure that by cycling I am being mega enviro-friendly - stretching the life of a bit of rubber is not going to make me a 4x4 driver :-)

Rock Chef said...

Of course, when I say nasty things about 4x4 driversI mean the ones who never leave a town or motorway, not those who actually need one!

Abby said...

Yeah, I think I'll just adopt your policy and switch to a fresh tube once one goes bad the first time. And around here, there are a lot of 4x4ers that are all form and no substance. During a snowstorm, they're the ones in the ditches.

Anita said...

I think you should write the sock and saddle bag company, accompanied by a pic of you and Tessa. Be sure it included your riding gear.

Yes, Rock Chef's day was worse than yours.

Anonymous said...

Nice catch RC. It's not too late to be squished. ;)
Once again, I admire your and RC's dedication to cycling to work and/or school in all kinds of weather and mishaps. Glad to hear everyone is feeling better now.
I wonder why people don't think girls like a nice package too. I probably prefer more things found in a "Dad" catalog than in a "Mom" one.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm a 4x4 driver but I live in the country and sure do need it!

Another one of those irritating ads "Gifts for Dads". You know how I feel about this kinda thing!

meleah rebeccah said...

"I had been thinking that I should change out the tube or repatch it, but I'm cheap environmentally efficient, and wanted to get all the life out of that tube that I could.  I guess I did." -- That made me laugh, loudly.

And I'm glad your day wasn't AS BAD as RC's was!

Abby said...

Y'know, if I wrote to them, all in a huff, I bet they might try to smooth ruffled feathers with a freebie. But in all honesty, I'm not interested in either of these items :)

Abby said...

It is kind of surprising that we still see Dad / Mom / Man / Woman specific gift suggestions. Makes me wonder what they suggest for Mom?

Abby said...

It's probably because of your awareness that I took a double take at that ad!

Abby said...

Me too!

terri said...

Glad to hear your troubles were relatively minor.
"...reached down to feel squishy what should've been firm. Not good, right ladies? " ... Funniest line EVER!

agg79 said...

Wow. Glad to hear your saga did not turn out like RC's Good thing you had a plan "B" and were able to overcome the obstacle. Perhaps Tessa was emphasizing with her big boned cousin with RC. Given that drama, perhaps being environmentally efficient is not always the best strategy.