Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

b*tches be walkin'

Several years ago, during lent, I decided that I would walk the dogs every day.  I'm not even Catholic, but I kind of like the idea of the lenten sacrifice.  So when people I knew were sacrificing for six weeks, I made the commitment to the dogs.

By the time lent ended, it had become such a habit that I just kept doing it.  Truth is, I enjoy my walks with China.  Back in that initial lent decision, we had two dogs - China and the lovable Domino.  They were active exercise-me! dogs, and I had a 2-headed leash.

Then we lost Domino to the dreaded cancer, and China's not the youngster she used to be.  She and I continue to enjoy our old lady walks together.  Some days, I think maybe I should skip it and get caught up on other things, but then she gives me that look...  It's practically all she asks of me!

This week's Mama Kat's prompts include " Your morning drive  "   Well, I've already blogged my hellacious morning commute, so I thought I would instead share my heavenly morning walk.

Let's go walkin' with China!

READY!




We went out the back gate to catch the pedestrian trail - the same trail that started out the hellacious commute to the school crossing.

This morning, a bicyclist, who was totally spandexed out, passed by and made me wonder how Bike Lady is doing these days.










Then we head west along a nice shady sidewalk.  This is also the route that starts the famous Midnight Mile.  I like it this time of year for the shade and views of the mountains.  I do love China, but I get tired of looking at her butt.





About a half mile down the road, we are near a shopping mall.  Even though it's so close, I can't remember the last time I was actually inside this mall.


One can't seem to go very far here without coming upon a large evangelical church.  This one is not too large, and it's not that large scandel-ridden one either  



Because of our close proximity to the Air Force Academy, there is a constant din of trainer aircraft circling each morning.  

There are several of these single-engine planes in the air at any given time as well as another that spirals slowly upward before making a dump of parachuted cadets.

China and I are buzzed so much that I don't even notice them anymore.  If they're not there for some reason, it seems weird.



We walk by an apartment complex that has a pool I fantasize about crashing.  I'm not sure what PARC stands for, but I have noted that it's CRAP spelled backwards...

It was right near here that I had The Great Bear Encounter of 2011.



Eventually, we've looped back around to the pedestrian trail, approaching the school from the opposite direction, where a fearless crossing guard counterpart slaves.


The school sits at the top of the hill.







Aah, another lovely walk to get China off my back start the day!


This post actually almost qualifies for another of this week's prompts: "9 pictures. 9 words" , but seriously, if I could do just 9 words, I'd be hanging out at twitter.
.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! Look at how happy China is! You're such a good dog mom.
I thoroughly enjoyed coming along on your walk. Every day I try to come up with a good reason for going back to Colorado. I'm not sure I could do your winters, but I absolutely could spend the whole summer there!
Well, until I read the bear story... :)

agg79 said...

Love how China keeps you on your routine. No slacking off for you! My two mutts are have got me trained for their daily walks (twice a day). Those pitiful looks when I come home are too hard to not do the walks, even when it is 98 degrees. China is looking great for an old lady! Love the summer 'do.

Abby said...

Funny, I was just thinking how nice it is to be outside now instead of during winter! The long johns are a faraway memory. Excuse for coming back? How about... Colorado misses you? We have an abundance of ice cream? The Incline is calling?

Abby said...

They really know how to bring on the guilt, don't they?! China is about 13 years old - being from the shelter, it's a bit of a mystery - but she gets around pretty well for an old lady. I think it's the walks that help her stay young. That and her hair salon.

Riot Kitty said...

Cute picture! Thanks for the outing :) Now I am going to read about the bear.

Guano said...

Thanks for taking China -- and us -- along. We all gotta get outta the house somehow, even if it's virtually!

agg79 said...

I love those mystery dogs. Claire is somewhere between 5 and 11 (they told us she was 5 when we first got her but I think they low balled her age). Still, with that sugar face, when she lays those big brown, sad eyes on you, she can melt granite.

Rebecca S. said...

I loved the ending of this post. If I could do just nine words...ha!
You have a sweetie of a dog, and it is kindness itself to walk her every day, even if Lent ended ages ago :) I'm sure she appreciates stretching her old legs. Your environs look a little like Calgary, Alberta...lots of space, dry and 'new city' looking.
I'm going to click on the church scandal post.

Abby said...

The bear was actually kind of cute in a toilet paper commercial kind of way. I think it was more afraid of us.

Abby said...

You're welcome. Were you feeling the altitude??

Abby said...

Ugh, the church scandal! That church used to be highly visible, but I hardly hear anything about the goings on anymore. They did get a new pastor :)

lotta joy said...

I've lost all will to do things like put one foot in front of the other, and without Joe, poor Beau would never know what a sidewalk is for.

lotta joy said...

You have THE hardest word verification I've ever encountered.

Abby said...

From what I know of Beau, he looks worthy of being carried around by a team of muscular shirtless men.

Funny, I never have a problem with the word verification. Thank you for your perserverance...

CiCi said...

China appreciates your commitment to the walk I am sure. Nice walk and I enjoyed seeing the pics along the way.

KatBouska said...

Wow you cover a lot of ground on your walks! Inspiring!

lotta joy said...

I am back to persevere again. Honestly, your word verification is hard to get right. It might be my macular degeneration, but it takes three tries for me. Ahhhhh. See how much I love thee. lol

meleah rebeccah said...

Awwwww!! Now that is one fabulous walk!

terri said...

You definitely have some beautiful scenery to enjoy on your walks! Thanks for taking us along.

Anita said...

I enjoyed the walk, too. How long is it and how long does it take to walk it? My parents' dog, Mocha, waits for her walk every day, too.

Popped over to a couple links. An occasional scandal satisfies my soap opera urge.

Abby said...

It's right at 2 miles. I didn't plan it that way, but one day I took the GPS along and there it was. Takes us about 35 mins.

Ugh, church scandals!