Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2026

hair, a bun, hooter

Happy Fall! Swap out your toothbrush heads? Flip the mattresses?

It's getting noticeably cooler around here, no complaints from me. It was a good week. Let's see if I can remember what happened.

  • I had feed-the-cat duty for Wolfgang this week as he was once again on a travel adventure. So it was good to have Honey, my new bicycle, as cat duty adds a few extra miles to the commute. I thinks she's well broken in now (the bicycle, not the cat). And that was another reason to welcome the cooler temperatures

    *on a side note, the Ring camera still calls me a child. Apparently anyone riding a bicycle and/or wearing a backpack is a child*

  • The previous week at work in the testing center, Party Girl was all gung-ho on the idea of cutting her hair and getting a 20-inch wig. She often gets these "obsessions", some come to fruition, others peter out. We all have those bad hair days when we just want to "cut it all off!" I think she'd had a couple of those. Went so far as to research wigs, and pick one out online.

Her hair is long - 23 inches she claims. She's mid 50's and her hair is not that of a young woman. She told me she likes having her hair long, though, because her controlling mother made her wear her hair short while growing up. 

"It's revenge hair".

This week, I heard nothing further of the wig acquisition.

  • In other coworker news, Kitty is pregnant once again. Recall that Kitty had a "shotgun wedding" a couple of years ago - brought about by her and her now-husband's surprise daughter.

Things are working out so nicely, they decided to go again. A boy this time. Kitty's intention was a little sister for the 2-year-old. The universe had other plans.  

I asked her if her parents were excited. 

"Oh yes! Lots better than the last time I told them I was pregnant..."

  •  In reading news, I'm up to 35 books for the year (my goal was 26, yay me). My recent completions:


Recognize any? My pace has slowed somewhat since the fall semester started. I'm currently reading a couple of books about Sam Bankman-Fried and his whole cryptocurrency sham. Love me some white collar true crime.

  • Lastly, Magnum and I went up to Helms Deep earlier today. More roadwork. The trailcam shows the usual suspects - mostly deer. 

This hooter was new, though.


8 comments:

  1. Flip the mattress?!
    I really liked Hotel Silence. The Correspondent wasn't as good as I had hoped. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly for mattress longevity? "Flip in the fall, Spin in the spring", so flip (long edge) so that the bottom becomes the top. In the spring, spin it 180 degrees. I think some mattresses only have one top, so no flip.

      I agree, I really liked Hotel Silence - thought provoking!
      The Correspondent got a lot of hype, so it felt kind of "meh" when I got around to reading it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, ours has a foam top so only one way up. I could spin it I suppose - but it's heavy.

      Delete
  2. I love owls. We have a ton around here and I am always in awe when I witness them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love owls too. Of the coolest of the cool birds.

      Delete
  3. Wow you have read a lot of books this year. None of the ones you mentioned sound familiar to me so I will check them out in Goodreads. So cool that you caught an owl on your trail cam. We hear one occasionally around here but I have never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite happy with my reading progress. I started a few duds, but the 35 I've finished were good times.

      Delete
  4. 35 books! Congrats!!!!! I love that!

    Glad her parents were better this time around.

    I have had hair down to my butt and chopped tons off before. There's something about Autumn for me and changing hair out. Love that.

    ReplyDelete