Our power went out last night. I do what most people I imagine do when that happens. I immediately check to see if neighbor homes are without power as well, and usually that's the case. This time, however, the evidence confirmed it was just us.
It was eerie because we had JUST finished watching [Bugonia]. Honestly, I'd just exited Netflix as the credits had been rolling. For those not familiar, Bugonia is a Sci-Fi, alien conspiracy story starring Emma Stone and Jesse Plemons. It kept me guessing until the end, and I found it brought up several thought-provoking themes.
So I was deep in the throes of pondering, "what the heck did we just watch?" when *ZHUUUP* Power outage and total darkness and quiet.
We managed to locate our main breaker, which had been tripped, and get the juice flowing again. Logic says it tripped from larger than typical energy usage - likely our AC units - but maybe the aliens were just messing with us.We did discover bees or wasps starting to make a hive/nest in our breaker box, and it so happens that bees/beekeeping is a theme in Bugonia. Call me crazy... (or don't. That's okay)
We also watched [Apex] starring Charlize Theron. It was predictable, rather implausible, but entertaining enough. Met expectations, invoked no power outages.
We did a "heated" bicycle ride this morning. Apparently, exerting oneself in the heat has certain health benefits as long as it doesn't kill. We both survived, so I'll consider it a beneficial morning. Shady stretches were much welcomed, sun drenched stretches felt like riding over hot coals. Good balance.
Last weekend, I got a pneumonia vaccine. I noticed that the friendly pharmacist jabbed me nearly right on top of my smallpox vaccine scar. Those of us who own one of those are becoming fewer and farther between.
Enhanced mine for clarity in the photo. Got one?
It's like having a special license plate that says "vintage" or "classic".Right??


I have got one but I don't know if it's visible any more. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place. Then again I am older than you.
ReplyDeleteI very much doubt that cycling in the heat is good for you!
We've nearly finished season 3 of Resident Alien, speaking of aliens.
We watched a couple of seasons of Resident Alien. Cute and pretending to be in Colorado.
DeleteI've got one and remember a discussion between my mom & the nurse when I got it about putting it someplace where it would be invisible with off the shoulder dresses (which I've never worn). Used to be when traveling to certain countries one had to show their smallpox vaccination or get vaccinated at the airport with attendant hygiene concerns (rumor was that it was always the same uncleaned needle) so that turned out to be a big annoyance. Basically parents can't win.
ReplyDeleteCeci
An airport would not be my vaccination place of choice.
DeleteI don't recall any scar-placement discussions. I mainly remember a gymnasium full of screaming children as a "welcome to kindergarten"
POX jab scars, like vintage tattoos- a source of pride! Waiting in the queue , nurses ready to catch fainting children...a group activity, we did not scream or cry- toughies...not babies!!
ReplyDeleteInjections are a piece of cake after that training! Although the shingles injections are harsh!! Leveled me for a couple of days.
Smallpox jab day started as a fun outing with Mom and quickly turned into "what fresh hell is this?" once we opened the door to that gymnasium.
DeleteBut I got the as-promised donut afterwards and was none the worse for wear, just a tougher version of my former self.
Shingrix, on the other hand, leveled me as well. There should've been a donut.
If it makes you feel any better, we had a power outage a few weeks ago due to the same thing. It did feel weird when all of the neighbors still had power!
ReplyDeleteI barely remember getting the smallpox vaccine, but I do have the scar, although very faded. I also remember medicine on a sugar cube. I think it may have been the polio "vaccine"
ReplyDelete