This week, the summer semester comes to a screeching halt. All that densely packed material thrown into final exams, and then nothing for a couple of weeks until Fall semester begins. I'm thinking up a few small projects I can do with the downtime from tutoring.
One project I take no credit for is "our" bountiful garden. That was Magnum's thing - building the raised bed and framework to keep the greedy bunnies out, filling the soil, planting and nurturing...
No lettuce parasites in our burritos!
It's been too much to eat to keep up with, really. Plants will likely keep thriving long after the humans are gone unless we nuke the whole planet.
Speaking of nukes, like many households, we have a microwave oven. I rarely use it, and really only for heating oatmeal or coffee that's gone cold. Magnum often uses it to cook, which kinda grosses me out. He doesn't use it to cook meat, at least (although there was that one chicken tenders incident), but anything else is fair game.
When the kids were at home, it was useful, but now, I can most definitely live without it. But we keep it around for his sake. At least it sits in a corner under a cabinet, in a space that would be pretty useless as a surface anyway. And once the zucchini and summer squash is ready for harvest, I will confiscate them and bar them from said microwave!
Speaking of kids at home, I find I get nostalgic this time of year with the back-to-school fervor. The school supply lists, the clothes and shoes shopping. Weird, the things we miss.
But I don't miss being responsible for dinner. Every. Single. Day.


I have to tell you - your garden looks so lush and healthy. I would love some! lol
ReplyDeleteLeftovers! I’d be lost without the microwave for leftovers. Or My Guy would be since that’s as close as he comes to cooking.
ReplyDeleteThe garden looks great! I already have more tomatoes than I will eat so I will be freezing them soon! Enjoy your free time!
ReplyDeleteNo children at home but a Husband who usually starts asking about 10.00 am, "What's for dinner?"
ReplyDelete