Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2024

onward

I took a morning bicycle ride today. We're back to high temperatures in the 90s, so best to get out in the morning when the gettin's good.  I enjoy a route that takes me along a shady path near to what is left of our river at this time of year.

As I emerged from the trail, I heard a ruckus from nearby. Further exploration in that direction revealed a morning outdoor spin class happening. 

Here I had just enjoyed a lovely ride along a shady riverside path, and there were people riding bicycles to nowhere on a slab of concrete? Oh well, to each their own. I will add, however, that it was in the outdoor area of a local brewery...

Curious, I googled afterwards, and learned that yes, [this is a thing]. It happens every third Sunday, May through October. 


For fifty bucks, cycle to nowhere, lift some heavy things, buy some beer and hit up the food trucks after. It was well attended, from what I saw. They probably think I'm a weirdo for riding a bicycle that goes somewhere.

In other news, school kids went back this week. Ugh, traffic is gross. We live near a high school, so I'm back to planning my trips around the horrendous first bell/ last bell traffic.

The college where I work and the local university start their fall semesters tomorrow. 

Mother Nature needs to heed the memo that summer's over. Turn down the heat.


10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Mother Nature hasn't gotten the memo here either.
So, they work off some calories and then go eat. lol

Fresca said...

The stationary bikers reminds me of how funny I always think it is when people driver their cars to the gym to get exercise.

Abby said...

Chatty, I think several of them are there for the beer and eats :)

Fresca, I've seen pics of metro buses with stationary bikes bolted to the floor 🫤

BootsandBraids said...

Outdoor spin class looks like fun to me. There's safety in numbers. Outdoor biking alone in nature is freeing, but not all that safe for a woman.

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, good point... sadly. The path "in nature" is actually not that separated from civilization/ safety. But still, stuff happens.

Debby said...

We have a place in town with all the inside bikes and all the lights inside are orange. They call it orange theory or something like that. Hey what ever floats their boat.
I used to love riding a bike but with blown out discs it aggravates my lower back.
First time here - first time commenting.

Abby said...

Debby, hi! I've heard of Orange Theory, but don't know the origin of the name. The spinners at the brewery sounded like they were having fun. It's certainly more sociable than a traditional group ride.

Liz Hinds said...

Why would they do that? I think you're mad enough going cycling in a pretty shady place! (Cycling makes my hips hurt! That's my excuse.)

The Happy Whisk said...

Sounds fun, aside from the traffic.

Allstarme79 said...

It's been cool in the mornings here, which is definitely odd for this time of year. No complaining though, fo sho.