Pages

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

no escribas

I had to open my own blog to see how long since I last posted anything. Okay, one week, not too much of  a slacking? 

It's been a busy time, but should now quiet to a gentle roar. My tutor boss at the college opened up for semester requests, and my schedule became instantly filled. I told her I'd take up to 5 students for the semester, and they usually trickle in, but this time, it was like flood gates opening. Whoosh, 5 in the inbox. After the frenzy of figuring out everyone's schedules, we can get down to business. Plus, I'd taken on a couple of high schoolers in the meantime, so they should all keep me occupied. 

The testing center runs hot and cold. We were swamped busy on Monday, and yesterday was lots of downtime. I spent a good portion of the day putting stickers on a new batch of test booklets for Spanish speakers ala, "NO ESCRIBAS EN EL LIBRO" That's about the extent of my bilingualism.

Mango, our recently hired assistant boss, usually rides the bus to work. She's a fresh university grad and said that people on the bus often ask her what she's studying at the college. She explains that she's not a student but a staffer, so this is inevitably followed by them asking what she does.

This got my coworkers and I pondering our actual job title - what it says in the staff directory and on our nametags anyways: Professional Tester

Kinda confusing, sounds like we take tests for money, which is, in most cases, illegal. 

In other news, I'm back to the running. The physical therapy, including the dry needling, seems to be helping and I've been out running around again. Not quite race ready, but it's coming along nicely. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as laying on a table getting needles stuck into various places. I have to do a gamut of exercises as well.

Doctor PT just welcomed a new baby and mentioned he was thinking of signing up for a "big" race to help him keep the running motivation during this life change. Next thing, he's suggesting that I sign up for a 30k trail race. 

What? No! What...? 

In a weird way, that sounds kinda fun and awful at the same time.


2 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Glad it's all feeling better from dry needling and PT. I don't think PT folks get enough credit. I only know one word on this sticker. Book. I'll have to go to google translate

Abby said...

Peggy, the "American Way" is usually to fix ailments with drugs and/or surgery. The PTs have the better idea IMHO.
You're one word correct out of 5. Good enough for me.